Re: Buy silver!

Maples and Eagles.
Englehard and Johnson Matthey are probably the best known names for bars.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

troydungeon wrote:

What kinds of silver bars and coins do you guys buy?

As with my previous post, if everyone who reads this goes out and does it, it could very likely cause a ripple effect at least in some areas.  But we seem to be reaching a point where it may not matter and/or that ripple may be a good thing anyway.

The only real silver investment I have made has been in John F. Kennedy half dollars which I obtained at face value.  The coin is not exactly in high circulation but surprisingly there are still quite a few silver ones sitting in vaults.  1964 half dollars are 90% silver and 1965-1970 are 40%.  Everything 1971 and after we'll have to wait for copper and nickel prices to skyrocket before they're worth anything.  I'm still not sure exactly how the financial mechanics of this relate to us switching from the "gold standard" to "fiat money" but I know they're related.

In order to do this you have to go to a fairly large, probably fairly icky financial institution where you have an account.  Tell them you would like to buy a $500 box of half dollars.  If they don't have any, ask if they would please order some with their next regular shipment fromt the Fed and make sure you have the funds in your account to cover it.  At this point they will probably either do it or make a suggestion of another institution which they know of that carries half dollars, but if they simply balk at you and say "we only get those when other people bring them in", you have to be ready to end the conversation with "if you don't do this, I'm closing my account", then make good on you threat and find another one of those god-awful places that will get them for you.  Once you get it, open up the box and start sorting.

Granted, this is not the most convenient way to obtain silver but it is possibly one of the cheapest.  The only possible drawback is you will have a bunch of face-value half dollars sitting around.  While those may be worth something someday if metal prices continue to rise, I say spend them unapologetically.  That coin is a good reminder of the political and monetary mess we have been mired in and going along with since the mid-20th century.

After getting back up on the Silver Horse due to the recent activity, I want to make a correction to my previous post which I think had a nasty sounding...anti-lizzie bias I guess.  Bank employees are not the ones to take our aggression out on just because they have made some karmic choice to be part of that system.  Many of them can end up being our allies, knowingly or not.  For anyone trying the half dollar thing I would not suggest threatening to close your account except as an absolute last resort.  Instead, try nicely asking to speak to the head teller or teller supervisor and tell them you would like to place an order for coin.  Find out what terms are agreeable to them; if necessary go to another branch.  I get the feeling they have...people...breathing down their necks who I wouldn't want to be anywhere near.

If anyone else tries this as a cheap if not elaborate and unwieldly scheme to obtain some emergency silver, feel free to share your results here.  I've decided that once I hit a certain number of pieces I'm starting a real public awareness campaign on this one.  And all of the top brass who've know about it for years and kept it to themselves can stick it you know where.  How long could some transitional economy where we have to barter with silver or copper pennies and such possibly last?  Either it will give way to something new where we can do work and get paid in something again or it will completely collapse/transcend/whatever and it won't matter anyway.  Have fun with it along the way!

Ok...so some months back both gold and silver reached record highs, since then their market value has dropped right back down again.

So, good time to buy some more silver or gold I thought.  Well seems not, the prices for silver and gold bullion coins are still the same as they were back at their highest.  Market value for silver is around  £6.50 at the moment, but most coins are selling at around  £11 to  £13!  Likewise with gold the current value is around  £320 per ounce, but coins are still selling at around  £400 per ounce.

There has always been a markup for coins...but this really is over the top I think.  Sure it's good for any stock already held; but not too good if you want to buy a load more.

So anyone else seeing this?  Any suggestions on where it maybe possible to buy coins at more realistic prices?

50 (edited by Hildegarde 2006-08-29 22:04:09)

A tip for investing:

Don't invest in something you don't understand.

Edit: I just found this website about investing.

"The universe is on fire with wonder, beauty, and ecstasy." - From the Undines to Humanity

Not sure if that was aimed at me Hildegarde... smile

I am not really after "investing" in the normal sense of the word.  Just want to buy some silver to hold over for the long term.  So if anyone has any links to UK / EU stores that stock gold / silver at reasonable prices it would be great.

Most the stores in the UK seem to be keeping their prices high - and holding out for the next inevitable metals rush.  As it is currently a Bull market - I guess I don't really blame them.  At any rate, that doesn't help out those of us that would like to buy some physical silver or gold at just over market value...

Marcus,
The tip was just a tip in general for this thread. smile

"The universe is on fire with wonder, beauty, and ecstasy." - From the Undines to Humanity

Ok thanks... smile

54 (edited by Transcix 2006-10-23 07:45:03)

Marcus, I suggest you try Ebay or something and look for silver coins... they are selling for approximately their melt value. You can buy, for instance, $300 worth at once in a kit of Olympic Silver Coins. I had to sell mine because I need money now, but I agree that silver is an excellent investment... beyond the pending economic crisis, it is a valuable metal in many technologies and is rather scarce is supply.

BTW, the risk with silver certificates is that there are more certificates in circulation that actual corresponding silver.

nothing is sacred, the deconstructing and letting-be of all things, clarity of sight, the realization of no-thing(s), Nothing

Well I tried to order some silver from www.ccsilver.com along with some wire for making colloidal silver but this is their reply:

----------------------
Greetings:

The many regulations, international insurance availability, customs
guidelines etc. has prevented us from shipping precious metals outside of
the US (including Canada) so we have decided to stop all international
orders.
----------------------

Just further goes to show our governments are up to something.

Anyone know of any Canadian suppliers I can order from?

Tropicality wrote:

Well I tried to order some silver from www.ccsilver.com along with some wire for making colloidal silver but this is their reply:

----------------------
Greetings:

The many regulations, international insurance availability, customs
guidelines etc. has prevented us from shipping precious metals outside of
the US (including Canada) so we have decided to stop all international
orders.
----------------------

Just further goes to show our governments are up to something.

Anyone know of any Canadian suppliers I can order from?

Check for any Canadian ebay sellers or google the Canadian Mint who make silver maples.
one here
http://www.colonialacres.com/rcmintnew.shtml

Its not like we are fractions of the whole but rather versions of the whole.

On the Silver coins page, everything from the 1oz rounds to the 100oz bullion are currently sold out.  Perhaps the market prices are being held artificially and are not reflecting the actual demand... wink

"The unknown does not incite fear, but dependence on the known does." - J. Krishnamurti

58 (edited by SamIAm 2007-07-16 04:26:08)

I understand the idea of why silver & gold are better then federal reserve notes/currency floating around.

But why is silver & gold of any real value?  I know its pretty to look at, but why do people hold it up as being of such value?   I don't understand at all the idea of using silver & gold as the standards for money worldwide.  It's no use to any of us, besides being turned into some pretty necklace or ring to wear to a dinner party.

It seems like all you guys care about in this thread is the hope of becoming rich in the future.
God forbid if any of you have to use real survival skills.
Your gold & silver bars sure the hell won't save you.

What the hell do you really need gold & silver for anyway?
All any of us really need is food, water and love to survive.

We dont need a money system set in place at all!
Your pretty little toys mean nothing at all! 
A lot of you seem to get lost in these illusions of money.
It annoys me.

I really dont care if im RICH or Poor 5 years from now.
The fact is I know how to survive out in the wild.
I know how to grow food.  I know what kind of plants & berries I can eat.
I know how to find water.  I know how to hunt for food.
That's more then a lot of you could ever say while your thinking
about all the pretty little things your going to buy in the future with your gold & silver coins.

I could survive without money.  Can you?

Gold and Silver is valuable simply because in people's mind it has always been valuable.  People have believed silver and gold to possess value for thousands and thousands of years.  Another reason is because there is only a "limited supply" of it.

Yes it is very sad - and superficial, but that is the way a lot of the sleeping world works...

True.  I'm just surprised to see it on this forum.  I guess people are just as superficial on here as everywhere.