16 (edited by tenetnosce 2006-01-27 09:22:23)

Re: Buy silver!

Marcus wrote:

Also - is it deffinatly not worth buying any gold?

And another question.  Is it only worth buying coins...are are bars worth buying too?  I guess silver is silver...but would one type be preferable to another?

It definitely is worth buying gold.  I just happen to think silver will continue to outperform gold in the coming years.  I could be wrong.  Who knows what will happen.

The best bet is to do your own research and take whatever action you feel is appropriate.

For me, owning gold and silver is not just about making a profit, it is about taking ownership of my life.  It is about financial responsibility as well as spiritual responsibility.

People are wildly irresponsible with money and it's primarily because they don't know what money is.  They never look past the exchange of a piece of paper for an object.

I used to think that being responsible with money meant having a job and paying my bills.

It's all I was ever taught because the system is run by people who are heavily invested in me having a job and paying my bills.

Having a job and paying my bills is exactly what fuels the Matrix Control System.  It is the mechanism by which I am enslaved.  I must work to survive.

I must work because I chose to purchase a $170,000 piece of paper that officially declares that I know something and a $77,000 piece of paper that officially declares that I live somewhere, with money that I hadn't yet earned.

I did this because I was programmed by the system to believe that these pieces of paper are good investments -that they are assets- when in fact they are liabilities.

I believe that taking financial responsibility is a key element of cracking the matrix and that involves having an understanding about how the monetary system works, and according to have I have learned so far, owning gold and silver is not just a smart thing to do, it is a responsible thing to do.

It is not for us to understand love, but simply to make space for it.

I am not anti-money per se.  I see money as just a refined form of barter.  However, I don't think that we should use gold or silver or any precious metal to determine the economic value of goods.   I think that is one of the primary reasons our globabl economy is so messed up (among many).   Gold and silver are finite resources that can be used to concentrate wealth in the hands of a few.  We've all been there and done that.   Becoming one of the few is not going to help.   

Instead, we can use something like labor as a foundation.   The value of goods is determined by the effort it takes to create them.  It will be tricky to develop such a system and trickier still to outline a transition to a labor-based system.  But it would be better for the long term health and well-being of the planet to do so.  And also have a loosely based barter system.

I realize that we have to operate in the system that we are in, but I also want to start to create something better.

Never Give Up!

What a fascinating thread. I must admit that I have been thinking about investing as a way to generate funds to be able to purchase precious metals for quite a while but have not known where to start.

Please take a look at the link below. When I first saw this guy's free DVD a year ago I immediately thought he was one of the dodgiest operators ever. After doing some research I have begun to change my mind. You guys might like to take a look at his site and lodge your impressions here.

He is adamant that he wants everyone to have access to the information regarding investments that the wealthy have traditionally kept to themselves and asks that people who use his systems donate 10% of their earnings to a charity of their choice;

http://www.21stcenturyacademy.com/

"Would it help if I got out and pushed?"

"It might..."

Fantastic. What synchronicity!!!

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread. This has just made up my mind about something I've been wondering about for a long long time.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

www.goldmoney.com

21 (edited by Marcus 2006-01-11 04:33:27)

So - with buying gold and silver etc, there are obviously a number of ways of doing it.  You can buy smallish quanities and have it stored for you, as in the link above this post.  Or you can buy large quanities, i.e. 1kg bars which I guess you would also need to have stored - though I guess you could take delivery if you wanted to.

Or else you can buy gold and silver coins and take delivery of them - maybe getting them stored or whatever.

Now - if at some point in the future you wanted to get some silver or gold traded back in for cash, how would you go about doing this?  I imagine if you buy from a gold stockest / trader this would be a very simple process.  But if for example you had a bunch of silver coins - how would you go about getting it sold / changed into "money"?  Yes you can sell to coin collectors, but surely there are other ways as they are still precious metals...

Marcus wrote:

Now - if at some point in the future you wanted to get some silver or gold traded back in for cash, how would you go about doing this?  I imagine if you buy from a gold stockest / trader this would be a very simple process.  But if for example you had a bunch of silver coins - how would you go about getting it sold / changed into "money"?  Yes you can sell to coin collectors, but surely there are other ways as they are still precious metals...

I would sell mine on ebay to get the best price, Dealers would not give you as much as you could sell for on there due to their overheads and profit margins.

Its not like we are fractions of the whole but rather versions of the whole.

23 (edited by Toad_in_the_Matrix 2006-01-16 02:50:46)

Grrrrrrr! I think I know the answer to this one, but clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Lets say for example that I wanted to invest  £5000 in silver.

The current price today is  £5.10, so add VAT @ 17.5% and you get  £6. Therefore  £6000, but the cheapest I can see coinage (and to be honest bars too) is  £7.50 a coin. Which makes it approx  £7500 to buy  £5000 worth. This really really annoys me. Must everyone really pay (in this example) an extra  £1500 handling fee???

One thing I read on "educate yourself" was that it would be better to invest in coins as opposed to bars, as bars can easily be hollowed out and filled with lead, and in a post "meltdown" world, paranoia could be rife... I am taking this advice.

Does anyone know a stock that I can buy that is related to the value of silver ?

ie.

Can I buy silver through the stock market ?

Bump.

Pleeease help, I wanna buy some!!!

google wrote:

Does anyone know a stock that I can buy that is related to the value of silver ?

ie.

Can I buy silver through the stock market ?

There are numerous stocks related to the value of silver, namely those of mining companies.

You can't buy "stock" in silver, as it is a resource, not a company, but you can buy silver "futures" which are essentially contracts for silver which can be traded in a similar fashion to stocks.

It is not for us to understand love, but simply to make space for it.

Thanks.

Physical gold and silver can be purchased via the purchase of shares in Central Canada Fund.
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=CEF-NVA.TO

Central Canada Fund also trades on AMEX.
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=cef

Central Canada Fund (http://www.centralfund.com/) holds physical bullion (both gold + silver) in the 'natural' ratio of 16-1. That is, for every ounce of gold they hold 16 ounces of silver.
This is not a mining company, or 'paper' bullion. The metals are held in the vault of a large Canadian bank in Toronto (see website). They have been in business since the early 1960's.
I personally hold these securities. They are a claim on audited physical gold and silver reserves.

Toad_in_the_Matrix wrote:

Grrrrrrr! I think I know the answer to this one, but clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Lets say for example that I wanted to invest  £5000 in silver.

The current price today is  £5.10, so add VAT @ 17.5% and you get  £6. Therefore  £6000, but the cheapest I can see coinage (and to be honest bars too) is  £7.50 a coin. Which makes it approx  £7500 to buy  £5000 worth. This really really annoys me. Must everyone really pay (in this example) an extra  £1500 handling fee???

One thing I read on "educate yourself" was that it would be better to invest in coins as opposed to bars, as bars can easily be hollowed out and filled with lead, and in a post "meltdown" world, paranoia could be rife... I am taking this advice.

Bear in mind though that the price of silver is its intrinsic "melt" value.
You could damage a coin with a hammer and it would still be worth that price. You obviousley have to pay the cost of manufacture and sellers profit margins which is why i mainly buy on ebay where if you bought a coin for  £7.50 you could sell it for  £7.50 plus any rise in the market at a later stage.  So while the price of silver is  £5.10 per oz the coin is still worth  £7.50 if you wish to sell it again. Dont sell to dealers though because they would probably only give you about  £6.00 for it as they have to make a profit where if you sold it on ebay you would probably get  £7.50.

Its not like we are fractions of the whole but rather versions of the whole.

Thanks Doc!!