Topic: Edward Leedskalnins' - 'Perpetual Motion Holder'

Montalk, have you or anybody else seen this?

http://www.keelynet.com/energy/emery.htm

Magis Amica Veritas

I would rather control myself, than someone else.

en courage (heart)
in spire (spirit)
en thuse (theos)

2 (edited by whywhywhy 2006-05-01 04:42:01)

Re: Edward Leedskalnins' - 'Perpetual Motion Holder'

Lemmni,

Very interesting article.  The coils are wired oppositte to each other.  One clockwise the other counterclockwise.  This allows for the generation of two magnetic fields but with opposite north/south configuration.  what I don't understand is how the electricity was generated if the metal was not magnetized.  I can see him appying an initial amount of current (from an external source) to get the magnetic field on the metal established.  Once, this has happened he can cut off the external source and let the metal magnetic field drive the current which in turn maintains the magnetic field.  It sounds like a perpetual motion machine to me.

Regards,

Lee

Edit;

1. The coils are wired in the same direction.
2. Even the handle is held by magnetic forces when the unit is in operation.
3. The external source I mentioned above seems to be what the guy calls the charger.
4. It is a simple apparatus once the mechanics are understood.  The teacher is full of it.
5. The apparatus generates DC current.  Now, it would excellent if an apparatus, same type,
    can be built to generate AC current.
6. The apparatus is started with th application of 25 amps.  When charger is removed a sudden decrease
    of current will be observed.  The system will recover when it reaches steady state.  In this application
    steady state is reached at 6 amps.  I suspect the steady state current (when the system recovers)
    is a function of the number of wire turns on the coils, initial current and the size of metallic piece.(latest edit)

Yeah, I'd like to emulate the demonstration someday.

Magis Amica Veritas

en courage (heart)
in spire (spirit)
en thuse (theos)

Oh, didn't see this thread sooner. Here is a related experiment to try that an inventor named John Ecklin came up with:

http://montalk.net/ballbearing.jpg

Get a 3/8 inch ball bearing, put it on a ceramic button magnet, stick the magnet to some horizontal metal surface, then tie a string onto a paperclip.  Lower the paper clip onto the steel bearing until they touch, then slowly pull up.

The  paper clip will pull the bearing away from the magnet. Then you can remove the magnet and the bearing will just hang there from the paper clip indefinitely. If you pull them apart and try to stick them back together, they won't unless you use the magnet again. I think this explains how Leedskalnin's perpetual motion holder works.

Acquiring fringe knowledge is like digging for diamonds in a mine field.

Ummm . . . paramagnetism? Gotta try that.

Magis Amica Veritas

en courage (heart)
in spire (spirit)
en thuse (theos)

Thank you Lee for that elaborate post.

Magis Amica Veritas

en courage (heart)
in spire (spirit)
en thuse (theos)

Here are some pics and videos demonstrating what I diagrammed in my last post. I used a C-magnet, metal nut, and large paper clip because these were what I had on hand. I had to put a guitar pick as a spacer on the magnet because it was steel alloy instead of ceramic.

http://montalk.net/pics/largenutfull.jpg

http://montalk.net/pics/largenutclose.jpg

These are videos of a small nut being lifted away from a magnet and the other of the large nut lifted above the magnet.

Video 1 (quicktime movie)
Video 2 (quicktime movie)

As you can see, two pieces of metal touching each other while in a magnetic field have their magnetic domains aligned. When the magnet is removed, the domains at the contact point mutually reinforce each other and so the pieces stay together. When the connection is broken, the domains go back to disorder and the pieces will not stick together again unless the  magnet is used. The pieces never attained any permanent magnetism, rather it was a temporary thing.

The Leedskalnin Perpetual Motion Holder does the same thing. When a current is run through the coils around the U-core, it aligns the magnetic domains of the core. The bar across the top of the U acts as the second piece, completing the magnetic circuit. When the current is switched off, the mutually reinforcing magnetic domains hold their position. There is no electric current in the core other than the orbiting electrons that always have and always will create a magnetic field, though usually in a disordered state of alignment that in totality cancels out in a non-magnetized piece of metal. Anyway, when the bar is removed, that breaks the magnetic circuit / alignment and causes the domains to go back to a disordered state. The resulting fall in magnetic field induces current in the coils, lighting the bulb. So the entire thing acts sort of like a spring or rubber band where initially it is stretched, holds itself in place, and later snaps back to release the energy.

The mystery is why the paperclip can pull the nut away from the magnet in the first place, especially considering the contact point is so small. It may have to do with the electrons on both sides of the contact point being so near each other and heavily aligned due to the magnetic lines of force pinching together so extremely through that tiny bottleneck.

Acquiring fringe knowledge is like digging for diamonds in a mine field.

Thanks for that excellent explanation and the pics/videos, Montalk.

I've actually experienced this phenomenon in the past (started recalling some of my experiments), but I believe the trick is to elaborate on this principle to the point at which it becomes beneficial to society.

You've given me some additional items of information to chew on.

Magis Amica Veritas

en courage (heart)
in spire (spirit)
en thuse (theos)

Hello all...my name is Scotty....I have been studying Ed's notes for over 2 years.
Matt Emery is my partner and we share a website together...Leedskalnin.com.
Ed says to hold the pmh North pole East and the South pole West and raise the keeper bar up to the South pole end of a vertical hanging magnet...Upon doing so the hanging magnet will swing south....and if you hang the North pole of the needle magnet down and raise the keeper to it then it will swing North...
If you would take a bare copper wire and put it in an E/W position and run pos in East side and neg in West side, then hang that needle magnet over the center of the copper wire it will do the same thing as the pmh does...
This shows that there is current running in the U magnet bar and keeper, the SAME way it does in a current carrying copper wire, and in both cases the magnets are running in a right hand twist.....They are so small they can pass through anything...
They wrap themselves around sunlight as it is sent out here and the water catches the running light and the magnets and binds them to all matter....
They are true monopoles, but we cannot see them for they are far smaller than any light. Light is made by putting obstructions in the Individual North and South pole magnets way...If they are started in an orbit then they will never stop until the orbit is broken......The magnets must enter the metal from the center to the outside...
Researches....study magnets and the way they run in a wire, then you will know what the individual north and south pole magnets can do!
The retentive theory is just soooo yesterday.....
Scientists do not know how the magnets run in a wire.....still!