Re: Vegetarianism

I don't really eat any meat either these days, just a lot of fish, beans, tofu for protein source.  I usually let me intuition guide me on what my body  needs too.
Although once in a while I enjoy eating game.  It's the best in my opinion.  An animal that lives in the woods and eats what it needs to it instead of pumped full of antibiotics and other things just to stay healthy while living crowed among a bunch of other animals.

I have studied food for probably 20 years. I recommend:

Annemarie Colbin's: Food and Healing (it's on amazon)

It is comprehensive and undogmatic. It is not difficult to read, but then I don't know much about 13-year olds, the mother would certainly enjoy it.

My opinion: people don't know shit about food, it's all trial and error or habit. Intuition is good theoretically, but mostly lost. You have to recover your senses first. This is the ultimate basic guide. There might be others, which I don't know.

From my experience: especially vegetarians can go soooo wrong and become sick and rigid.

So check it out,

glamdring

18 (edited by derek 2006-12-12 16:03:08)

Beans, whole grains, FRUITS, VEGETABLES, tofu, seitan, and excersize, and maybe vitamins. Make sure to eat a balanced diet , getting a relatively balanced intake of foods and nutrients is healthful.

lately i have been eating a good amount of homemade hummus (thanks to my father smile ) and it is delicious, as well as nutritious. I am a vegan for moral reasons, i simply love animals, and do not want to hurt them. The FACTORY FARM is one of the most evil devices imaginable, and is the main reason i abstain from dairy products as well (if you have never heard of or researched the factory farm,  i suggest you do some important research, google?). I very occasionally eat some shellfish and dairy, if it is a treat from someone. Neway, im glad she has decided to do this, more love for the animals! smile

by the way, google is quite useful for this type of info, including recipes  big_smile

also, FRESH foods are very nutritious and healthy. Not to say cooked food is neccesarily bad, but fresh foods are unadultered and contain full nutrition, some of which is lost in the cooking process (including pastuerization).

In general also, avoid processed foods. The idea that vegetarians and vegans are endangering their healths is a myth, what is almost always occuring is someone eating foods that do not nourish you in the first place, such as bleached and proccessed flours and sugars (white bread and high fructose corn syrup are common examples).

Also, i forgot to mention in the original list, drink PLENTY of fresh water, pure as you can possibly get or afford. I personally am supplied by my generous father with spring water, which is all i drink, besides occasional fruit juices. Buy natural spring water in bulk (make sure it is natural spring water, not all bottled water is actually from a natural fresh water source, some such as "dasani" brand and others are simply purified tap water being sold for a similar price), i believe a gallon size container is a little more than a dollar! If you cannot afford that, buy some sort of water purifier contraption, which i suppose is better than regualr tap water, which is unfortunately loaded with harmful chemicals such as chlorine, and (in most places) fluoride. Then again, tap water is still definately better than soda, which is simply carbonated tap water with high fructose corn syrup and artificial colors and flavors.

Hope my advice is appreciated! big_smile

And also, about balanced protein intake, i read that eating whole grains and beans will provide the body with a balanced protein intake, though i cannot verify this at the moment (seems to be working well for me big_smile ). Also google! try "vegan protein" . I just did and the first two websites are very useful! Here is a link to the first one http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nutrition/protein.htm .

19 (edited by SamIAm 2007-02-09 19:54:31)

I think Raw Food is the best way to go.  People eat too much bread and cooked foods.  What would you eat if you were stranded in a jungle with no grocery store. I think that's what you should be eating.

I eat mostly in season, except in the winter...
I eat fresh fruits, greens, seaweeds, organic grassfed raw meats, seafoods, maybe some insects, raw eggs.  It's all I eat. 
I usually don't drink water.  I get it in my fruits!

How do I know it works? I 've only had one bad cold in my entire life.  I had the flu when I was like 6.
Then again maybe I just have a inherited strong immune system.

20 (edited by Jedi 2007-04-23 11:27:31)

My friend has been a vegan for some time now, perhaps 1.5 years.  He asked me to post because he feels he is lacking "something," feeling a bit low on energy from time to time.  We know some people hold views that multi-vitamins are bad for the body and so are wondering what he can take in terms of vitamins and supplements to make his diet whole from what he lacks by being a vegan?

Well, there are certain essentials that are virtually impossible to get from vegan sources.  B12 comes immediately to mind, and this would make sense considering his energy levels.  There are others though.

seeker of truth

follow no path
all paths lead where

truth is here

E.E. Cummings

22 (edited by Daisy 2007-04-24 03:47:14)

Jedi, what exactly is your friend eating? Vegan diets can be unhealthy, and indeed they often are. Tell him to eat plenty of veggies - if he isn't already - rather than filling up on bread, cereal, etc. If he's eating lots of soy (eg. tofu, soy milk, many processed vegan foods) he may be suffering from hypothyroidism, as soy is known to inhibit thyroid hormone. That would explain the lack of energy.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

"If he's eating lots of soy (eg. tofu, soy milk, many processed vegan foods) "

The exception being properly fermented soy.  Fermentation breaks down the harmful phytochemicals.  Come to think of it, fermented grains and legumes would probably help considerably in many respects.  Tell your friend to borrow or buy a copy of wild fermentation by Sandor Katz, full of great recipes for homemade miso and other healing vegan foods.

seeker of truth

follow no path
all paths lead where

truth is here

E.E. Cummings

http://www.themeatrix1.com/

Anyone who has not already seen "The Meatrix" may well find this of interest.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly" Richard Bach