Topic: Inspiration with Business

I'm currently trying to run a business that denotes a positive message to people.  It's something of a clothing company but I want it to be more than that.  I want to somehow associate my business with peace movements in the world but am not to sure how implement this.  I've had small successes here and there but not enough to get this project off the ground and I'm beginning to lose hope for the whole idea in general.  One of the members here on the forums had suggested trying to sell through "live earth" I believe it was, but again I'm not to sure how to go about doing this.  If anyone would be able to offer suggestions, inspiration, ideas etc. it would be most appreciated. 

The site can be viewed here: www.auscastclothing.blogspot.com

Thx

Re: Inspiration with Business

Hey Aus, cool logo and graphics! 

Though I've no first hand involvement in the clothing business myself, a suggestion would be to first get your items in local stores / chains.  You've got the postmodern trendy image going, I think there should be a good market if you talk with the right kinds of individuals (perhaps buyers and store managers).  Then once you're in local stores & chains which hit your target audience, you can build on that and go regional, then national etc... at each stage letting them know your successes / where your wares are currently for sale, and perhaps also about your story, etc.  My 2cents...!

"The unknown does not incite fear, but dependence on the known does." - J. Krishnamurti

3 (edited by PhiConcept 2007-09-19 20:13:26)

Get a licence for a portable stand, buy a few sets of portable tables, chairs and colorful umbrellas.  Make colorful commercial signs with hints of the message you are trying to send.  Hire a few people to sell the t-shirts at the portable stands around the city and pay them commision instead of hourly wage.  Judging by the type of t-shirt, hiring cute ladies to sell the product will probably maximize your business.  Make your employees happy by giving them a fair share of the sales so that you motivate them to put some effort into selling more t-shirts.

Usually this type of business sells well in spring and summer.

Running this type of business opens doors to more possibilities.  You will be able to create a portfolio on your business, sales, revenues, etc.  The portfolio will work like a successful resume to aquire space on a shelf at retail stores.

edit to add:

The most important and revenue generating aspect of this business is it's portability, so whenever there is an event around the city you can always set up a stand and hope for some revenue.

Peace, PhiConcept.

4 (edited by nexus 2007-09-21 11:22:47)

I hope you accept this in a spirit of non- condemnation Auscastian.  It's my own observation when i look at your logo so i'm not just trying to be negative.  I suppose everyone could see something different but when i look at your logo my first impression is of an 'upside down' pentagram.  In satanic lore the inverted pentagram represents a fallen being.  I realise others may see a right side up "V".   But for me, the bulb at the 'point' of the "V" and the parallel horizontal lines produce the said symbol.  I also realise that it would be easy to say that my own subconscious is seeing what it wants to see /or is programmed to see but perhaps that is the point with symbols.  They go past the rational mind and are interpreted at deeper levels of the subconscious, especially when the meme and it's connotations are well established.

Thank You for those who have responded, your input's are much appreciated.  Nexus I also thank you for giving your honest input into the way in which you perceive my Logo/Symbol.  I find it quite interesting that the symbol of on Inverted A, on one hand can mean "For All" in mathematical terms, not necessarily applying to humanity or society (although that is the way I have presented it in its current context) and then on the other hand may be perceived as a somewhat negative symbol.  But I guess that is the duality in all things. It just is. 

I have been contemplating the idea for each T-Shirt sold, a percentage of each should be donated to some positive cause, Live Earth for example.  If anyone knows of anything the money would be beneficial to be put into that would help me a great deal.  I would also like to hear everyones input on this idea as-well, I would love to hear from as many members as possible.

If anyone knows of anything the money would be beneficial to be put into that would help me a great deal.

Depends on whether this is something you'll include in your advertising. If so, then it would have to be what people perceive as a charitable cause. But with those, too often so little of the money that goes in actually makes it through to the people needing it, and the charities or movements have a vested interest in continuing their own existence which interferes with actually accomplishing their mission.

If this is just a personal mode of giving, then one idea that came to mind is using a percentage of sales goes toward CD-R/DVD-R/Paper supplies to distribute important (whatever you think is important) material to people that could be interested in it. Or maybe toward books or something to give at an opportune time. Something local, direct you-to-them without all the middle-men of a charity, aimed at their hearts and minds. Just an idea.

Acquiring fringe knowledge is like digging for diamonds in a mine field.

montalk wrote:

If anyone knows of anything the money would be beneficial to be put into that would help me a great deal.

Depends on whether this is something you'll include in your advertising. If so, then it would have to be what people perceive as a charitable cause. But with those, too often so little of the money that goes in actually makes it through to the people needing it, and the charities or movements have a vested interest in continuing their own existence which interferes with actually accomplishing their mission.

If this is just a personal mode of giving, then one idea that came to mind is using a percentage of sales goes toward CD-R/DVD-R/Paper supplies to distribute important (whatever you think is important) material to people that could be interested in it. Or maybe toward books or something to give at an opportune time. Something local, direct you-to-them without all the middle-men of a charity, aimed at their hearts and minds. Just an idea.

Yes, that was my initial thought when posting the idea, if it would actually reach whatever charity that would be distributed to

Although I'm not sure I fully understand what you are suggesting here with the CD-R's, etc?

Auscastian wrote:

Although I'm not sure I fully understand what you are suggesting here with the CD-R's, etc?

Oh, what I meant is that empowering and enlightening videos, audio, and ebooks can be burned onto CDs or DVDs and given discretely to people who might benefit from it. Or maybe good articles, ideas, website links printed onto a flyer to give out. Because then you are directly seeing where the proceeds are going, and you're targeting the higher parts of people (mind/heart/soul) which might make a bigger dent in the long run.

It's also cool having a "help fund" set aside for whenever, because there are times when you're smack in the middle of an opportunity to help someone and having a little reserve on hand to carry that out immediately is awesome. One example would be having a spare $5 or $10 tucked away in case you encounter a homeless guy who really needs it, or like a few times I've known people who were looking for a certain informative book or video but not able to afford it, so if I have enough money on hand I order it for them.

Donating to a charity or non-profit organization is worthwhile if you meet the people involved and can see for yourself that donations are being put to good use. So, something local with a mission you believe in and honest people running it.

Acquiring fringe knowledge is like digging for diamonds in a mine field.

montalk wrote:

Oh, what I meant is that empowering and enlightening videos, audio, and ebooks can be burned onto CDs or DVDs and given discretely to people who might benefit from it. Or maybe good articles, ideas, website links printed onto a flyer to give out. Because then you are directly seeing where the proceeds are going, and you're targeting the higher parts of people (mind/heart/soul) which might make a bigger dent in the long run.

Ok I see what your talking about now.  The question is, is where do you start? What do you introduce first? What would be most beneficial for people to learn/know about first?  I've had way to many instances of trying to be open about my beliefs and most people just do not know how to respond to any of it.  So I figure you have to start lightly and build your way up to those willing to hear what needs to be said.  But again the problem of, what should be introduced first? I guess thats just something to figure out.

montalk wrote:

It's also cool having a "help fund" set aside for whenever, because there are times when you're smack in the middle of an opportunity to help someone and having a little reserve on hand to carry that out immediately is awesome. One example would be having a spare $5 or $10 tucked away in case you encounter a homeless guy who really needs it, or like a few times I've known people who were looking for a certain informative book or video but not able to afford it, so if I have enough money on hand I order it for them.

Will put this idea into active use.  I've had way to many instances where I had the opportunity to give, and had nothing to give.  Very disappointing.