Topic: Turn drinking water from acidic to alkaline

http://www.alkalife.com/home.php?

Just found this website recently and thought it had a lot of good articles.  The Alkalife Drops are tasteless - 4 drops per 8 oz. water.   I have known about the health problems if the body is too acid.  I thought this site was worth passing on.
Ann

Re: Turn drinking water from acidic to alkaline

Here is the patent for Alkalife - http://tinyurl.com/2eqwxg -- it's a diluted mixture of lye and potash (sodium and potassium hydroxide). Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and potassium bicarbonate also alkalize water. But it's the OH in the hydroxide that alkalizes water most potently.

Acquiring fringe knowledge is like digging for diamonds in a mine field.

Hey Montalk, Thanks,   So. . . . that doesn't look too good.  LYE?!  Without me having to read everything - would you stay away from it??

I've read that taking lemon juice can help the body stay more alkaline (even though it is highly acidic itself). Myself, I use a lemon in my daily home made juice. I also drink water with magnesium bicarbonate added, similar to the bottled water sold by a man named Beckett in New Zealand.  Add 30ml magnesium hydroxide to 1 liter cold seltzer and shake several times until clear.

Dont forget cayenne pepper as a natural food alkalizer too and natural sea salt or even better Himalayan salt will help you body find its balanced PH levels. (providing you dont drink many cans of coca cola smile )
personally i would not drink bicarbonate of soda to alkalize as it can be done with food easily enough and less chance of overdoing and messing about with stomach acid.

There is a good practical reason for food combining in the past, ie fish is very acid forming so by putting lemon juice which is highly alkalizing it becomes more balanced.

Its not like we are fractions of the whole but rather versions of the whole.

I have a question about drinking water that maybe someone can help me figure out. 

Once upon a time, I was introduced to a product that supposedly added a bunch of great minerals to your drinking water.  The idea was to use distilled water and add this pouch to the jug to remineralize it.  So, being a little naive, I bought these pouches (which supposedly contained coral calcium) and also purchased a really expensive water distiller. I got the one that doesn't take electricity, you just put it on the stove burner (thinking I could use it when there was a power outage).

Well, after that, I started muscle testing and found out (I think) that these pouches weren't really what they said they were. The company said the coral was dead harvested instead of live. Well, my testing said otherwise.  Needless to say, I quit spending my money on that product.

Now, I've stopped distilling my water to drink because it is highly acidic, right? I believe I've read that somewhere. Well, most bodies can't survive on distilled water forever because of the loss of minerals.  It's quite detoxifing, so it's okay to drink for a couple weeks during detox, but not all the time.

So I bought a Berkey water filter last year. These are gravity fed and they use filters. The filter takes almost everything out except flouride, so I had to buy another set of filters that takes out the flouride. But here's the bad part (aside from extra cost):  The only way to take out flouride like that is to use aluminum because flouride is a by-product of aluminum and it is the only thing that will draw out the flouride. So basically, the first filter takes out the aluminum and other heavy metals, but the secondary filter adds some aluminum back into the water.  The best part of this system is that it does not take out the needed minerals.

But lately, I've been getting mad at this thing. The filters are very big and the secondary flouride filter hangs below the first set, separated by the two chambers and a couple rubber grommets. It's very hard to handle and clean. And the scum from the minerals is a pain in the watoosi to clean all the time.

So okay, here's my question, finally! smile

Is it possible to alkalize my distilled water without buying some special product? I don't know how comfy I feel putting lye and potash in my drinking water.

I heard somewhere that you can just add salt to the distilled water to make it 'come back to life', so to speak.  Does anyone here know if this works? Can I just use some sea salt in it to make it potable?  Has anyone done this? Do you know how much salt would be needed for a gallon of water?

Oh, and BTW, I do know that buying distilled water in plastic jugs is a big no-no because it's so acidic that it starts breaking down the plastic jug and then you're drinking phalates! yikes  So when I bought my distiller, I also bought several GLASS gallon water jugs to distill the water into and to store the water. It works great!  I bought the jugs at a website called Freud Container. They have a ton of different containers of all types and sizes.  I had to buy 16 jugs to get a good price, but I knew I could give a few away to friends.

Thank you!!!

7 (edited by Barefoot Doc 2007-07-16 08:12:06)

As far as i know distilled water becomes more and more acidic the longer its left and open to the air, on immediate production it will be around PH 6.8-7.0 To help prevent it going too acidic add a small amount of mineral salt (Himalayan or sea salt) into the bottle prior to the distillation, its no longer distilled water then and wont react so much with the air and keeping the stuff as airtight as possible will help to.

I think a simple way to alkalise your body with that water would be to add lemon juice, which is highly acidic but highly alkaline after digestion.
I just wonder if its nessesary to alkalize ones drinking water if one eats plenty of alkalizing foods but i agree with you about the non food alkalizers and would avoid them myself.

Edit: forgot to say i use abut a 1/5 of teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt per 4 litres of distilled put in the empty bottle first.

Its not like we are fractions of the whole but rather versions of the whole.

I found this odd little thing to energize water.  My perception is that it makes water wetter maybe.  I'm not as thirsty when I drink it and it does the most odd things to plants.  There's this kid's science experiment thing called a tornado.  Basically this little plastic thing that connects 2 2 or 1 liter bottles together, pour water in 1 bottle, flip and it creates a tornado as the water filters down in a vortex.  I've also tried using magnets on it and I used the water on my plants.  It perked up the plants, and the plants would grow in a vortex.  For example in the winter, when the sun is in the south, the plants grew towards the north, it changed direction for every season.  And the plants did not grow towards the sun.  Which is what I expected to happen, right, plants grow towards the sun?  A buddy used it to amp up the effects for seeds and seedlings and stuff like that.

Anyway, it was a fun little experiment and I plan to incorporate again once the dust settles.....

awilk2001 wrote:

Hey Montalk, Thanks,   So. . . . that doesn't look too good.  LYE?!  Without me having to read everything - would you stay away from it??

In water, a very weak solution of lye should break down into its constituent ions - one metal ion, which your body needs anyway, and one the hydroxy (OH) molecule which is what changes the PH. It's mainly the industrial lye (remember the Fight Club scene?) that gets a bad rap. But would I stay away from it? Well, myself I would try a little of AlkaLife and see whether it makes a difference, for better or for worse. The solution is probably so weak that either it does nothing, or else it is weak enough to break apart in water into safer parts. After putting it in though, I'd stir and wait a couple minutes just to be on the safe side, and I would not exceed the recommended dose either. My intention in pointing out the ingredients of lye and potash is that compared to the price of raw materials, AlkaLife carries a way heavy markup. Of course there is advertising, packaging, and research, but still. It's a lot like colloidal silver, couple cents to make, sold for thirty dollars a bottle.

Acquiring fringe knowledge is like digging for diamonds in a mine field.

I found some information about this, Acidic foods messing with the Pituitary gland and alkali enhancing it's effects (or somethign like that). Or it might have been the Pineal.

About a quarter way down the page, under 'Biosophy'
http://www.seekeronline.org/journals/y2003/dec03.html

I've a kilo of Himalayan rock salt in my drawer and I think it's good for me. But it tastes so bad! You can't even imagine how foul it is. If someone could give me hard proof of it's miracle properties I might be able to force it down me.

"Violence solves everything. If it's not solving your problems, you aren't using enough of it."