1 (edited by lyra 2006-12-24 14:43:43)

Topic: Liquid silica and hair loss

So, since June I probably lost about half my hair.  Not to where I have bald spots or anything, but I have half the hair I used to have.  I started out with three times the amount of hair of a normal person anyway, which means I'm now left with a "normal" amount of hair even though I've lost so much.

It was getting so bad that I pretty much couldn't touch or brush my hair without strands coming out in my hands.  Very distressing.  I'm sure some here know what that's like if you have long hair - there will be all these strands that hang out longer than the others, well, that's because they've actually detached from your head.  Now you just need to pull them out from the rest of the hair.   My brush was filling up with hair 10 times faster than it would before, so I'd have to clean it out on a daily basis versus once a week, or every two weeks.  I actually stopped washing my hair for long stretches because so much was coming out in the shower that I'd be in tears, and it got to the point where I just put my hair up in a clip during the day....Just...leave it in the clip.  Don't touch!!!  !!!   I started up on vitamin supplements that are recommended for hair growth and strength, while trying to figure out what in my diet/life was causing the hair loss.  Couldn't figure it out, (and it wasn't hair dye, as I previously theorized) and meanwhile, the supplements weren't doing much of anything.  Finally I tracked down the one supplement left on the list that I hadn't bought....silica.   Now, there are several forms of silica available, the most common being horsetail, but when I was at Whole Foods I noticed they had a form of liquid silica called "BioSil" made by Jarrow, who also makes the probiotics supplement I've been using for several years.   It was expensive - $27 a bottle for one ounce; each serving is 6 drops, so you get 100 days, or about a 3 months supply.  But according to the product, it's a "Biologically active silicon as stabilized orthosilcic acid"  "Clinically proven, patented liquid silicon, 2 1/2 x more bioavailable than any other form of silicon."

Horsetail or colloidal gel silica first has to be converted into orthosilicic acid in order to be used by the body, whereas in this form it's already been converted, and "biologically active," enabling it to be immediately absorbed in the stomach.   I figured, why not...I'm desperate, all my hair is falling out, this certainly won't hurt.  So I bought it and started taking it.   It took about 5 days maybe before I started to notice a change, but lo and behold, the rate of my hair falling out drastically slowed.  Silica is needed for bones, nails, joints, hair and skin, and the product insert (which I later read after the fact) does advertise that for hair, "Silicon helps hair grow thicker and stronger.  Hair with higher silicon content tends to fall out less and has more shine and luster."

I was also taking biotin supplements, since biotin is a supplement known for hair growth, but it really was the silica that was making a difference.   So much so that I got confident and went off it for almost a week......then my hair started falling out again.  I was like, AHHH!  and immediately got back on it.   Took about another 5 days for the hair loss to slow down again.   I've decided to stay on it ever since.   

It really does seem to me that the silica made all the difference.  I'm sure I'm not imagining this.  Nothing else I was doing was having any sort of effect, be it B-vitamins, copper and zinc, biotin, Omega 3 oils, going off caffeine, or what have you.  It's a good supplement to be on anyway, apparently, whether one has hair issues or not, as silica is needed for skin collagen production, and helps the bones and nails.  It's recommended for all older people to take because modern heavily processed diets lack the needed silica, and as we get older what are the main things to start failing in our bodies?  Bones, skin, hair, and so on.  wink

So I've been on this now I think November maybe, and the directions say you can take anywhere from 6 - 20 drops a day or whatever, so I've been taking on average 15 drops.   I needed an extra boost, and it does seem to be working wonders.   I now wash my hair without really worrying anymore, brush it without a second thought, no longer have to empty my brush every day, and don't have such a rampant problem with all these loose strands of hair just falling out as I run my fingers through my hair. Although I'll be honest.....I do still seem to have a higher than normal hair loss going on, to where I still find strands of hair all over my sweater every day.  But there's no doubt that it's drastically slowed.  I'm back to being able to wash and brush it without having to worry and no longer fret that I'm seriously going to go bald or something, which was the case a couple of months ago.   In fact, recently I had my glasses on top of my head and a strand of hair got stuck in them as I tried to take them off.  So when I pulled the glasses off, the hair yanked out.....but the thing is, that hair did NOT want to come out, so it REALLY hurt!  I was like, OWW! rubbing at my scalp after the strand was forcibly popped from my head.  Then I laughed, realizing, Damn, that silica really must be working!   big_smile  Before the hair was so weak it would have just fallen right out with minimal pain.     

So, just wanted to pass along the tip.  If you have hair issues, try this Jarrow "BioSil" liquid silica if you can spare the $27 a bottle cost.  It seems like a worthwhile and necessary supplement, and does indeed seem to make quite a difference for inexplicable hair loss issues.  That in conjunction with B-vitamins and biotin (the more natural the form, like from foods, the better) should make a difference for anybody.

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0001TN2JG.01-A2WYXEM6LLNU04._SCMZZZZZZZ_V66846180_.jpg

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride!"  - Anonymous
-----
"I get by with a little help from my (higher density) friends."
-----

Re: Liquid silica and hair loss

Lyra,

It is $15.57 for Jarrow BioSil at

http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetai … =JRW-01011

with 10% off till 12/30. I just bought some. Thanks for the info.

fidly

fidly wrote:

Lyra,

It is $15.57 for Jarrow BioSil at

http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetai … =JRW-01011

with 10% off till 12/30. I just bought some. Thanks for the info.

fidly

Thanks for the tip, Fidly.  smile  I just placed an order.  At Whole Foods it's about $29 total for one bottle, including the tax....at i-Herbs, I got two bottles for $29.55....and that included the shipping!  Thanks again.....

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride!"  - Anonymous
-----
-----

Thanks for the tip, Lyra! I've been wondering what do with my hair....besides getting a perm..hehe.

Actually, it's been thinning over several years. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. Tried some things and gave up. Not that I stop taking them, just I didn't feel like they were really working like I'd hope so I stopped looking for any other solutions.

HOWEVER, I did happen to notice when I started eating lots of dulce I noticed some improvement. But, I really would like to have the long, hippy-fied hair I remember having. It wasth justh stho sthoft!

I'll have to see how I can best fit getting some into my present economical sitchiation, but that tip you posted, fidly, sounds pretty darn good. That's cheaper than I can get it where I work....even with an employee discount.

Anyhow, since the subject is about the silica, I wanted to mention silica also chelates aluminuminum out of the body and binds calcium in the tissues. So, in that way...yeah, it's good for all the things you pointed out.

I'm glad, also, that you mentioned 'bout the biotin. I've had several ladies come in to the store telling me it about it. It seemed to really do wonders for them. I don't know how to explain the difference in results except that I suppose everyone needs different nutrients at one point or another.

What did I also try? Hmmm...oh, yeah! L-cysteine (sp?...pfft). Didn't notice much. I'll try the silica. I may even still have some floating around on my two cabinets worth of supplements. I get 'em when they're marked off as credit at work. Lucky me! Woohoo!

Thanks again, Lyra!

" Then it was, then again it will be. And though the course may change sometimes rivers always reach the sea." Robert Plant

Neem oil is apparently good for hair follicles too.  but it doesn't smell exactly like peaches tongue

"The unknown does not incite fear, but dependence on the known does." - J. Krishnamurti

thook wrote:

Thanks for the tip, Lyra! I've been wondering what do with my hair....besides getting a perm..hehe......But, I really would like to have the long, hippy-fied hair I remember having. It wasth justh stho sthoft!

wink  hehe

thook wrote:

Anyhow, since the subject is about the silica, I wanted to mention silica also chelates aluminuminum out of the body and binds calcium in the tissues. So, in that way...yeah, it's good for all the things you pointed out.

Yup....the protection from aluminum thing was mentioned in the BioSil package insert actually, which is interesting.  Who knew!

thook wrote:

I'm glad, also, that you mentioned 'bout the biotin. I've had several ladies come in to the store telling me it about it. It seemed to really do wonders for them. I don't know how to explain the difference in results except that I suppose everyone needs different nutrients at one point or another.

For those who may be curious, biotin is supposed to help with the growth of new hair, (versus silica which helps that hair stay put on the scalp).   I'm wondering if different supplement brands may be better than others?  I'm not sure either why biotin might work better for some than others, but I myself have been taking it for several months now, and there is new hair growth on my head.  But I can't know for certain if biotin played a part, or if it would have grown on its own.  I do have all these little inch long strands of hair now on the top of my head though, which is cool.  I was in the elevator the other day and saw my reflection in the mirrored doors, and the light shining down showed all these little hairs standing up every which way!  I was like, Ahhh!  but then remembered....hey, this is a good thing!  This is why you were taking biotin, remember?  haha   Luckily I did not have bald spots or noticeable sparse areas or anything....but I do have a coworker with that issue.  She's the exact same age as me, (and I mean exact..............born the same month, day and YEAR as me, only 50 miles from where I was born!  haha but I digress....) Sparse hair on the top of her head, so you can clearly see her scalp in areas, which is alarming.  It's not normal to see females with that issue.  My hair still looks totally normal, luckily, but the amount just isn't normal for me, compared to what I normally have.   

All in all I'd recommend Biotin because it can't hurt.  It's found notably in cooked eggs, walnuts, romaine lettuce, swiss chard and almonds, for those who like to get their supplements the food way, or you can buy it in supplement form.

-----
-----

lyra wrote:

... I did not have bald spots or noticeable sparse areas or anything....but I do have a coworker with that issue.  She's the exact same age as me, (and I mean exact..............born the same month, day and YEAR as me, only 50 miles from where I was born!  haha but I digress....) Sparse hair on the top of her head, so you can clearly see her scalp in areas, which is alarming.

Same exact birthday, same job, same location, same hair loss problem?!   That is really bizarre.

morningsun76 wrote:
lyra wrote:

... I did not have bald spots or noticeable sparse areas or anything....but I do have a coworker with that issue.  She's the exact same age as me, (and I mean exact..............born the same month, day and YEAR as me, only 50 miles from where I was born!  haha but I digress....) Sparse hair on the top of her head, so you can clearly see her scalp in areas, which is alarming.

Same exact birthday, same job, same location, same hair loss problem?!   That is really bizarre.

Well, not the same hair loss problem....as I said, she has noticeable sparseness on her head, which looks alarming, whereas with me you can't visibly tell that anything funny is going on.

But yeah, same exact birthday, born in NY, 50 miles away, and now working at the same job.  I'd mentally requested to find somebody with my birthday to test the astrology/personality thing, only to find out six months after I started working at this temp job that this girl has the same exact birthday as me, down to the year.   Weird!  It's a topic in itself I guess.  Although this is my thread, so if I want to derail it, I can!  big_smile  haha

-----
-----

Hello All,

Happy New Year.  Warning, long post ahead.

Liquid silica is interesting stuff and it's great to see it being given the light of day.  A few comments, if I may, based on my own experiences, and the way I have come to approach such problems.

Hair loss rarely occurs in a vacuum as far as the body is concerned.  Such a cellular response is most likely connected to some other dysfunction or change occurring in the body and as such, hair loss, might be seen merely as a symptom.  That silica is/was helpful is a clue perhaps to what else might be going on because in some way silica has changed the biochemistry in the body for the better.  So, the question to ask perhaps is why did silica have this effect?  What did the silica do?  Well, as the other posters have pointed out, at the biochemical level it helps with removal of aluminium and with the utilisation of calcium, it also plays a part in cardiovascular vessel strength and therefore blood pressure regulation (and levels decrease as we get older) and probably a whole host of other functions of which we are barely aware.  The biodynamicists, for example, suggests that it improves our connection with the etheric, though generally it is used at a homeopathic potency i.e. very, very dilute.  Similarly, whilst I am in that realm, silica in tissue salt (homeopathic) form is usually associated with the expulsion of waste, especially that which is deep seated not forgetting simple things like splinters which it can help to expunge. 

Whilst toxic metal accumulation can never be ruled out these days, in that excessive aluminium might have caused silica stores to be used up, perhaps the calcium connection is worth further consideration.  So if calcium is not being utilised properly because one of its co-factors isn't present, or is blocked, what could be the result? 

Given that calcium is not actually difficult to absorb from the gut and its main tempering partner on the other side of the see-saw is the rather less readily available magnesium, excessive build up of calcium is far more prevalent than we are led to believe. 

Now excess calcium (more than can be utilised) has the potential to cause a sluggish bowel, horizontal ridges on finger nails, kidney and gallbladder stones (other things can cause stones too), depression etc and a slowing of the thyroid which regulates cellular metabolism, causing an even more sluggish system.   One of the symptoms of a depressed thyroid is hair loss.  Now thyroids can be depressed, often subclinically (so they don't show in conventional tests), by other factors than just excessive calcium so this may be a consideration or it may not.  However, if lowered thyroid is an issue then since it makes the body more sluggish, accumulation of minerals that are easily accumulated, especially sedatory ones like calcium, is going to continue to increase, all else being equal.

So is the rate limiting step now not silica but iodine which is frequently out of balance in thyroid problems?  One way to find out is to take some Lugol's solution or 3% aqueous iodine and put a very small dab, using a Q-tip on the sole of one's foot.  I advise a very small amount to begin with because some people are allergic to iodine.  If there is no reaction, one might consider using a cotton ball to 'paint' a larger part of the underside of one's foot.  Then watch the absorption rate: if the brown colour has all gone within the hour one may well be iodine deficient.   Repeat the process and watch the rate of absorption which the body will change depending on how much it has taken in.  Clever huh? Repeat until the colour hangs around or your intuition says "enough, already".   The body has a fantastic intelligence for what is needed.  If, however, the colour hangs around like a bad smell after the first application, then more detective work may be called for.

Without iodine, one's thyroid doesn't work too well, but as with all things, silica included, too much can have the opposite effect and shut down the thyroid as well.  Why?  Because everything (on a biochemical basis anyway) in the body is about maintaining balance.  So please don't paint yourself from top to bottom!  Any nutrient that one takes in that is unnecessary means that the body has to expend other nutrients to remove it, or store it and there is the potential then, if this goes on long enough, to throw something else out of sync.  Hence, may I suggest taking silica past the point your intuition is not drawing you to it, might mean you really have had enough, for now, or for ever.  Sometimes with supplementation we just need a kick start and once the engine is rolling again, it's OK to roll on and on without more pushes.  Conversely, if one needs to take something forever, it is unlikely that the root of the problem is being addressed. 

Unfortunately the thyroid doesn't only require iodine to work properly (micro amounts of selenium, vanadium, B2, Vit C, Cu, Vi A and Vit E are also involved plus more we haven't figured out yet, undoubtedly) but also good protein digestion, somewhat of a luxury in this day and age and something that can also cause hair loss in its own right.  The thyroid can easily be poisoned by amalgam fillings and other toxins such as cigarette smoke.  As thook posted, eating dulce seemed to help her hair to a certain degree, so maybe iodine (high in such foods) was a factor there.  And if iodine was not the whole factor, what's the next layer to be explored?  What's the next piece in the jigsaw of wholeness?

In all of this, and I could go on, I do not mean to suggest we are merely biochemical beings.  Of course we are not.   Our thoughts affect every cell in our body as has been clearly shown.  With hair loss, one could also look at, when brushing, why we are pulling our hair out?  Or, if not brushing, what is it that we no longer want to pull our hair out over?  Timing is also important - why is this happening to me, now?  And I am sure there are other metaphors regarding what hair is to the psyche that are also involved.  Lastly, it is perhaps a mistake to compare our physical state to 'normal' people.  What is normal for us, if we then notice a dysfunctional change, is NOT normal irrespective of whether it is 'normal' for others.  The levels of chemicals the conventional blood tests test reinforce this perception of course, that to be 'normal' we need to fall within a certain range or here comes your pill.  In my experience this is not only untrue but harmful especially to those who are told there's nothing the matter because their blood tests are normal so it must be in their head.  Years of misery because someone believes the test and not the patient.  Hippocrates must be horrified.

If the supplementation angle works for you, as opposed to any other form of rebalancing (and, as we all know, there are many, many ways to effect change) then the intent of this post is to suggest that, when a change occurs we ask ourselves "Why is this happening? What is going on here? What is this symptom telling me?  What's behind this?"

And, it is not necessary to swallow a biochemical text book either.  There is a lot of information on the web which allows one to piece things together, just as one would for a metaphysical understanding, just takes a little digging and will save you time, money and perhaps heartache as well.  Take what resonates and leave the rest, for later, or for never, including of course, this post.

Wishing you all a wonderful 2007.

Sheila

Very interesting. You certainly covered it from a wholistic standpoint.

I know mineral balance plays a key role in assimilation, but your explanation was very good and reminded me of what I had forgotten. The thyroid is also something I hadn't thought about.

I've got a Rife machine I need to start using again more often. I heard of a fellow on another forum who'd made his hair grow back in and change color from grey by using a similar device. The effect it had was 1)killing off parasites and 2) detoxifying the body of metals, etc. But, 3) If his experience was anything mine when using the Rife machine, it had effects on an energy level. I'd always been hesitant to accept that something of an electrical nature would have any beneficial effects, but the Rife machine did when I'd used it. I had had a dream some time ago where a fellow (whom I believe was a guide) pointed out the reason I was experiencing hair loss...among other physical symptoms. It was a balancing or connection with my root chakra that was in need. I've never been the most grounded individual.:/ , but it made sense to me. I was/am missing energetic nutrients. Food from the etheric for the physical body. A basic connection to physical life. <<<Yoohoo? Earth to Thook!>>>

Thanks for the post, Sheila.;)

" Then it was, then again it will be. And though the course may change sometimes rivers always reach the sea." Robert Plant

Thank you for reminding me about Rife, Thook.

One way that mineral cations (metals) work in the body is via the the 'plugging in' and 'out' of electrical charges which is one of the reasons why excess aluminium is so dangerous, it's small and highly charged which means it fits all over the place, especially where it shouldn't where deficiencies of the 'proper' minerals are apparent.  Charge balance is very important and those who suspect they are ungrounded might get a lot of relief from walking bare foot on the soil or grass, quite an effective degauss.  Another method is to get the bottom of ones feet tickled, children love this, as it allows excess charge to be released, and they do it willingly.  And yes, laughing does seem to be mandatory, another great stress release.

I was however interested in the change-of-hair-colour aspect to Thook's post.  People with excess copper in their systems, or at least something that is promoting such loss, since hair is a minor excretory route, often get a brassy coppery tinge to their hair so we know colour changes are naturally possible, even if this would indicate, in most cases, a dysfunctional change.  Interestingly, black cattle such as Angus, which have quite a high copper requirement, get a slight curl at the end and copper tinge to their coats when they are copper deficient.  Quite the opposite of what appears to happen in humans and may be to do with bioavailability of the stored copper supplies in both cases - one can actually have a lot of copper but it's not readily available for use because of liver insufficiency.  Well, that's one theory.

However, I was wondering why it was that blondes in particular tend to darken as they age - is this also the result of toxins coming out through their hair?  Has anyone done a thorough detox and seen their hair colour lighten or change, blonde or otherwise?  Given that there are many ways to promote balance in the body, it should be possible to replicate the Rife hair colour change reported with other therapies.

Thanks for any thoughts, or experiences anyone can provide.

Sheila

As far as the excess calcium goes, I seem to remember that fat soluble vitamins play a vital role in the assimilation of calcium too.

seeker of truth

follow no path
all paths lead where

truth is here

E.E. Cummings

Certainly does.

We don't take in calcium without fat so the idea of low fat milk "now with added calcium" is laughable.

Excess calcium can have an insidious effect on mood for some people, acting as a tremendous depressant if one doesn't need it.  And what are post-menopausal women encouraged to take in large quantities???  Calcium is rarely deficient in a reasonable diet except for perhaps 20% of the population (fast oxidisers) who may need more.  Excess calcium unopposed by magnesium so that it is unable to be utilised properly is often the problem.  The interplay between minerals in the body is quite interesting and Alfred Jacka, a tremendous, old-school Australian naturopath gives a good insight into deficiency progression when he says:

"A deficiency of sodium phosphate can progress in the following order - insufficient sodium for proper digestion leads to sodium being drawn from the circulatory system, causing calcium to precipitate out of solution.  A concurrent silica deficiency and sycotic miasm* results in osteoarthritis developing.  Alternatively, a concurrent magnesium deficiency may produce gallstones, kidney or bladder stones.  A continued deficiency can result in a duodenal and finally gastric ulcer.  This is not the only way conditions develop by illustrates the longstanding nature of many deficiencies and how they manifest according to miasms and other nutrient deficiencies..."

(*miasm - a predisposition to a particular weakness and inhibition of the healing process, often passed down intergenerationally)

Sheila

14 (edited by lyra 2007-01-23 05:34:10)

Well, another update - There have been other side benefits to taking silica which I hadn't planned on but which are worth mentioning.  As mentioned, silica isn't just for strengthening the hair, but it affects the skin and nails as well.  Basically, I don't have to use hand lotion anymore.  !!   I first noticed it maybe one or two weeks ago after washing some dishes in really hot water without gloves on. Previously, after doing something like that I'd have to towel off and then slather on some hand lotion to get rid of the dried out feeling.  Well, that didn't happen.  My hands still felt fine, moisturized, didn't need any lotion...almost like I hadn't just had them under very hot water and dish detergent.  That's basically unheard of.  For me anyway.  I realized this morning too that I no longer put on the Bath and Body Works brand lotions I have in my purse while at work because I just don't need them.  It's a weird thing, I've been using lotion for years.  But it's good. 

Think about it - hand lotion is a multi-million dollar industry....possibly billion, who knows.  There's certainly enough brands, and every grocery and drug store in the nation sells them, along with entire boutiques devoted to it.  It's a huge industry that could be rendered unnecessary.....because of a mineral supplement.  big_smile   You don't need "Vaseline Intensive Care" to "cure" dry, chapped skin.  You need to treat it from the inside out, by feeding your body the minerals that the skin needs to be healthy.   

Also with the nails, I now can't bite them anymore.  They're too strong.  big_smile   They've changed from brittle and light pink/white to a strong, really smooth and soft textured healthy pink color.  So if I want them short then I actually have to clip them!  Can't bite them off anymore, it's too difficult.

Oh yaeh, and there's defiinitely no longer an issue with excessive hair loss, even in the shower.  I used to collect up a ball of hair when I'd shower, forelornly keeping track of the mass amounts I was losing.  Now, hardly anything.  Silica's amazing, that's all I can say.

-----
-----

I have a book called "The Acid-Alkaline Diet for Optimum Health" by Christopher Vasey, N.D., which is a very good short read. My pH is highly acidic, so I thought I should buy this to help educate myself on my body's workings.

I'm to the section about alkaline supplements being used to correct a pH imbalance. I came across silica as a supplement. But it is not alkalizing; it is an acid mineral which helps people suffering from hair loss, brittle nails, etc.

The book goes on to say that the amount of silica in a mineral supplement is usually low and used in conjunction with alkaline minerals, so that its acidity is offset.

As I read this yesterday, it brought to mind this post. I'm not a doctor or anything, but I just wanted to point out this fact here. I'm sure that the silica is working wonders for hair and nails, but I just wanted to forewarn anyone who would read this thread that using only a silica supplement without any other mineral supplements could cause problems in the long run, because of it's acidifying effects.

I guess the safest course of measure would be to have another supplement used in conjunction with the Biotin. I had been advised to use ionic trace minerals every day to help alkalize my body.  The doc had told me to add it to my water with some liquid glucose (sugar) because the sugar helps the body absorb the minerals better. Well, I tried that and it made my water taste too funky. So now I just add the drops to my daily cup of orange juice. I figure there's plenty of glucose in that to help with the assimilation of the minerals, and it tastes better too. The one I take contains silica, so I don't think I need an additional supplement. My hair still falls out, but I don't want to take the chance of acidifying my body more by taking straight silica.

Like I said, I'm no doc, but I do read alot of medical stuff. I just wanted to mention this so that anyone supplementing strictly with silica can get a better idea of the possible acidifying effects of this mineral on the body.