Topic: Outbreaks of Community

I've been digesting the essays at the Ran Prieur website in the last couple of days. www.ranprieur.com

Near the close of the "Slow Crash" essay, he remarks that the police and military (in part) were present in New Orleans after the hurricane as much to prevent outbreaks of community as to prevent anarchy.

I remember a few days after the hurricane happened, Ray Nagin, the mayor of New Orleans, told the public in TV press conference to leave the city--or to stay away for a while--because there "is nothing for you here...[there are] no jobs, no money...etc., etc."  I remember chuckling at the comment because implicit in the comment is that a job is necessary for survival or living.

Many were stumped at why New Orleans residents stayed in the midst of disaster.  And almost uniformly, when interviewed and asked why they were staying they answered: "...This is my home...My family is here...This is where my life is..."  Yet, none of those answers seemed logical or good enough for politicians or rescue workers or military.

It occured to me, when I heard Ray Nagin on TV, that the government probably felt they had to evacuate the peoples of New Orleans lest they began setting up a new civilization down there that didn't play by the rules of the rest of the nation. 

...I suppose it all comes back to the faulty concept of ownership, and preserving power by controlling land and resources...

Also: outbreaks of community don't require a disaster.  Here, at NR, a community has broken out without the prodding of an official.

Community is the central principle of the new era, isn't it?  Networking.   

If a number of local, integrous communities can be built and maintained in order to complement ("oppose") each of the arms of control, what more needs to be done?

You can't change a tiger's stripes,
but you can avoid its teeth.

2 (edited by Risen 2005-12-12 20:54:53)

Re: Outbreaks of Community

dreamosis wrote:

Also: outbreaks of community don't require a disaster.  Here, at NR, a community has broken out without the prodding of an official.

Community is the central principle of the new era, isn't it?  Networking.   

If a number of local, integrous communities can be built and maintained in order to complement ("oppose") each of the arms of control, what more needs to be done?

Excellent example.  Now, what would be even cooler, is if a *literal* community (/ies?) became of NR!  Then you'd all have to deal with my ugly mug and I could generally smack you up, etc.  lol

[edit]
Man what I wouldn't give to have, or have access to, a piece of property untouchable, where people could come and basically live separate from society.  Not a commune, really, or is it?  I dunno -- anyway it would be bliss for sure.

This is no time for the righteous
Only the wicked survive
Bake up a batch of the Yellow Cake
Bake up a batch of the lies
- - - - -[ Yellow Cake - Ministry - Rio Grande Blood (2006)

Re: Outbreaks of Community

oh, yes.  this reminds me.  i wanted to start a new thread (but couldnt figure out how the other day--oh my god, sorry, very inept here)...on good places to consider going to, and i wanted to put it in the walking the walk section, then backed down.  i thought, maybe better not though, then maybe everybody would go there, but not "everybody" is on here, at NR.  then, after reading at lyra's new site, the long version of the exiting florida story, i was re-inspired to at least throw it out there.

i LOVED that story and oh my god--so true, SO informative.  so really neat of her to do that.  i love stuff like that and  the warnings and sharing of experiences.  i am so into that kind of thing, the exit plan.  OVERALL>the overall EXIT PLAN. i loved and could identify with the really neat feelings she had of knowing what to do, where to go, and when. how she said it was so innate.   LYRA--THANKS SO MUCH for that.  tell US MORE.  these kind of things are very VERY important now, as is also how to be invisible in crowds, i loved that, need to go over that again, and MORE.

i have this big delusion that people like us could live nearby each other in the times to come, network with each other somehow, as i think we will NEED to.  i know i will have to take care of the people in my neighborhood, i have had this feeling for yrs and yrs.  yet, lately, i have developed an urge to leave but do not know where to go.  this is very NEW and different from what i have had going on.   i feel like searching around.  i read on Gary Bonnell's akashic records site (learned about it from NR!!!--of course) that he used to feel that way and actually made a community out of like-minded individuals, but admitted it did not work, at all.  too many leaders and strong personalities, and he learned what not to do from it, but i still want to be around like-minded, never did before--only lately.  inventors, quick thinkers, informed souls.  i just keep informing and teaching all the time, when i want to learn.  i have alot i can teach and show but hey, i could use more info, as always.  yet have never ever followed anybody or anything.  BUT  I KNOW WHEN someone knows more than I know on some topics and i know when i can learn from them.  thats what im talking about.  i will have to take care of the sitch where i am and there are only a few of us (like 5 maybe)--that get what is really going on, and 5 is stretching it--its more like 3.  places to check out in secret?  places to go?  possibilities?  just on my mind, curious.  thanks.

GNOTHI SEAUTON "Know Thyself!"