Topic: getting rid of the ish

This is my first post so hello everybody.

For a long time I have been concerned with trying to better myself. I think that my self-improvement mission is going fairly well so far and with improved self-awareness I have managed to reduce many of my faults. Recently it has been occurring to me that through this constant struggle with my self a great deal of ‘ish’ has come into the equation. I have always had a bit of a selfish streak but for a while now I have realised that I am not the person that I would like to think that I am. I’m really just wondering if any of you guys have any advice/experience on how to deal with the pride that inevitably comes with the feeling that you have made improvements to your self and also how to be more aware of other peoples needs and how these relate to your own personal journey. Have tried searching the net but couldn’t find anything that related my dilemma to the more spiritual/metaphysical aspects of life, thus skewing my perception of their validity (but mostly just couldn’t find anything useful) and having been a lurker in the shadows of noble realms for a while it seems you bunch would be able to offer some good insight into this.

Many thanks

The greatest catalyst to change comes from accepting thyself

Re: getting rid of the ish

Hi kryptokabbage, welcome to the forum. Your question seems to involve what difference there is between humility and self-deprecation, between pride and hubris, between self-esteem and a superiority complex.

We know that people can make themselves feel better by putting others down or holding them in contempt, but this does not mean feeling good about yourself must always come at the expense of another. Some people see this obvious problem but  strive for equality by cutting themselves down to the lowest common denominator and refusing to acknowledge anything about themselves that is above average, thereby not offending anyone with an inferiority complex. But this is self-deprecation, definitely not the solution.

One thing to consider is that you can make improvements to yourself and feel good without letting the ego inflate beyond proportion. For instance, you can try seeing an improvement as giving you increased ability and responsibility to wisely help others improve themselves similarly, if they ask. These are primarily increases in power. Some use power to increase the divide between themselves and others by kicking them down and propping themselves up, and  some use power to increase the unity between themselves and others by lending them a hand. It's the difference between a bully and a friend.

As far as practical advice goes, feeling from the heart and thinking lofty thoughts - getting yourself into a clearer vibrational mode and higher frequency - for a couple minutes automatically puts the ego in its place without suppression. Try feeling good about yourself while simultaneously focusing on feelings of compassion for the less fortunate, respect for those more powerful than yourself, and acceptance that in the end all is well. It can be done, and avoids the problems of self-deprecation, hubris, and snide superiority. Just some suggestions....

Acquiring fringe knowledge is like digging for diamonds in a mine field.

Well put, Montalk!!!! I think I'll take your advice myself. But, of course I'll share with kryptokabbage and not keep it ALL to myself. Hehe!
Good post, krypto! I'd like to add to this new thread by sharing a small story of a personal experience or realization.
For the last month and a half I have been taking better care of myself. Being a Virgo some might expect that. However, I have a tendency to be a bit self-destructive. No new tale. Anyway, today I have felt so good with all of the things I have been doing for myself I found myself "naturally" caring more for those around me. As in taking even better care of the animals I live with. I was suprised becaused I wasn't trying to be better. It just seemed a natural extension of the way I have been with myself lately. Compassion through understanding seems to be a more natural way of changing rather than trying to make yourself conform to some ideal. That seems almost unnatural in a sense.
But, Montalk, I think really summed it up pretty well. It's right on.

" Then it was, then again it will be. And though the course may change sometimes rivers always reach the sea." Robert Plant

I'm sure no one here will be surprised that I'm recommending The Four Agreements.  It just covers everything, imho.

http://www.miguelruiz.com/teachings/fouragreements.html

kryptokabbage wrote:

I’m really just wondering if any of you guys have any advice/experience on how to deal with the pride that inevitably comes with the feeling that you have made improvements to your self and also how to be more aware of other peoples needs and how these relate to your own personal journey.

Among other things, pride can manifest itself as a holier-than-thou attitude which causes one to look down on other people. It might be helpful to expose yourself to extremely prideful people who think their discipline makes them better than others. That way you can "overdose" on malignant pride and get sick of it, just like you can overdose on a certain type of alcohol and never want to drink it again because it reminds you of being ill. On the internet you can often witness some of this overblown pride and disdain for others at hardcore vegan and straight-edge forums. With a clearer picture of what it feels like to be on the other side of selfish pride, you can more easily choose not to be "that guy" when it comes to the way you express/feel pride over your personal victories.

--Justin

Soloflecks wrote:

I'm sure no one here will be surprised that I'm recommending The Four Agreements.  It just covers everything, imho.

http://www.miguelruiz.com/teachings/fouragreements.html

Very excellent.

I would like to post them here if you don't mind.

1. Be Impeccable With Your Word
Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don't Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won ­t be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don't Make Assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always Do Your Best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.

sorry havn't replied sooner but have been away from the computer for a while. sincere thanks to everyone for your well considered responses.

Solofleck- those Four Agreements were particualy helpful; i actually found them popping into my head at various points over the weekend where i was able to apply them/spot my mistakes, in my social interaction.

I would consider myself to be a very lucky person (i suppose its probably alot to do with my outlook) and often find that i have a tendancy to to bring up my successes in a way that is not particualy helpful/interesting to those on the recieving end. I think that this may often seem almost like i am gloating . While this is not my intention (alot of the time i am just trying to point out the power of belief and positive thinking) i feel that it would benefit all concerned if i considered more fully the manner and frequency with which i revel in my good fortune. Hopefully by talking less about my personal growth and instead applying the lessons i have learned in a practical manner i will become more of an asset to my friends and the world in general.

The greatest catalyst to change comes from accepting thyself

Hopefully by talking less about my personal growth and instead applying the lessons i have learned in a practical manner i will become more of an asset to my friends and the world in general.

That's advice we can all take!

Presence can't be hoarded.