1 (edited by hsh 2005-12-14 12:12:34)

Topic: Theta Metronome Meditation

I just made a 20 min theta metronome meditation and uploaded it to my site as mp3. It's free! I found some sites selling metronome meditation CD's for $20. wtf?! It's a simple 4hz frequency with a repetitive ambient phrase... I'm adding a guided version this week.

Anyways, Stuart Wilde is known for using a theta metronome to go into trance and have all those nifty visions. It takes a couple weeks of daily practice, if you're not meditating regularly, to see some clear images coming to the surface from the subconscious. Check it out: http://www.binauralbeats.net/audio.html <- btw it's 28mb hmm

namaste,
sakash

2 (edited by visavis 2005-12-14 16:06:10)

Re: Theta Metronome Meditation

hey hsh,

I tried that too for the first time last week, was kind of cool smile  I intend to spend more time practicing it.

cheers

"The unknown does not incite fear, but dependence on the known does." - J. Krishnamurti

Do you NEED to use headphones? I have some stereo headphones that would work well but for some reason when plugged into my pc audio jack it is very staticy.

Thanks for this hsh!!  Very hard to find good theta metronomes without having to pay a fortune! smile

Hsh, thank you for making the piece accessible for download. I wonder if it also works for persons who have problems with their ears (like me). My left ear is much "weaker" than the right due to a health problem. I read the 4 Hz sound is generated through "binaureal beats" -slightly differing frequencies in each ear. What if the tone in one ear has significant lesser volume, does that work too?

A man is born gentle and weak. At his death he is hard and stiff.
Green plants are tender and filled with sap. At their death they are withered and dry.
Therefore the stiff and unbending is the disciple of death. The gentle and yielding is the disciple of life.

One of my ears noticable less sensitive than my other.  Binaureal beats do work for me, I guess so long as you ear can pick it up even slightly then it should work...

7 (edited by hsh 2005-12-15 19:59:57)

heandras wrote:

Hsh, thank you for making the piece accessible for download. I wonder if it also works for persons who have problems with their ears (like me). My left ear is much "weaker" than the right due to a health problem. I read the 4 Hz sound is generated through "binaureal beats" -slightly differing frequencies in each ear. What if the tone in one ear has significant lesser volume, does that work too?

An alpha/theta/delta metronome differs from a binaural beat. The metronome is simply a sine wave, for example, at a certain frequency of one cycle per second. So if I take 4hz, the metronome come out to 4hz * 60 = 240bpm (click...click...click...). A simple program that uses FM synthesis can pull this off for you.

A binaural beat is a bit different and more difficult to produce. The binaural beat is made up of two different frequencies, one applied to each ear. The brain synchronizes the difference between the frequencies and you get a beat just like the metronome only you don't hear it. Your brain is still going to synchronize the beat even if one ear is weaker than the other - no problemo.

I suppose the straight tapping of the metronome can annoy some people. I'll put up a another file using a straight theta binaural beat and not the metronome.

As for headphones, they are a MUST with binaural beats. You can probably get away with a theta metronome on speakers, but headphones does enhance the experience. You might just burn the mp3 to a CD and listen to it through a CD player or stereo if you can.

namaste,
sakash

Synchronicity! I spent an hour this morning researching various theta metronome mediation CDs. Almost downloaded an ambient theta track off iTunes for $9.99... so thanks very much, hsh!

...and I'd definitely be interested in listening to the straight up theta binaural beat too smile