Topic: Ran Prieur

czyx just mentioned Ran Prieur in the Icke thread, and he's also someone I've been reading for awhile.

Ran is very commited to getting completely off the grid and setting up a fully sustainable community, and he's documenting everything on his web site which is at http://ranprieur.com/

Ran very much believes that we're heading towards a major crash and so that's what he's preparing for.

He's written some very popular articles which include:

How to Drop Out: http://ranprieur.com/essays/dropout.html

The Slow Crash: http://ranprieur.com/essays/slowcrash.html

How to Survive the Crash and Save the Earth: http://ranprieur.com/essays/saveearth.html

I definitely don't agree with his point of view on everything. I'm not completely convinced the crash is going to be quite as serious as he thinks, and also the timeline (if that concept is valid) we end up on could be a major factor in what we experience.

But anyway, his website and essays are full of practical solutions and well worth checking out.

Andy

Join me in Peru to celebrate December 21st 2012 - Visit: http://2012awakeningretreat.com/

Re: Ran Prieur

>to whom it may concern- excellent new category.......

"I hate dreaming. because when you want to sleep, you want to sleep. Dreaming is work. Next thing you know I have to build a go-kart with my ex landlord"
-The late Mitch Hedberg

I had a friend you might call a "dropout."  Everything he owned fit into two duffle bags.  He didn't have credit cards or a bank account as far as I know.  He always used cash.  His most prized possession was his notebook.  He alternately stayed with friends, and occasionally rented a place out very cheaply.  He knew how to be homeless, if he had, too--though he didn't particularly care for it.

Because he had almost no expenses, and no possessions to upkeep, he constantly had money. 

We always had a lot of fun just talking and walking in the woods and the mountains.

I've joined him for a week at a time, a couple of times, living like he lives--but I'm still plugged in to rent, car payments, student loans, etc., etc.

...As attractive as "dropping out" to me, however, is creating a sanctuary from the system--a place to gather with like minds.

You can't change a tiger's stripes,
but you can avoid its teeth.

There's  a Yahoo group called simplyoffgrid, a good resource I think.  The moderator is walking the walk: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simplyoffgrid/

5 (edited by lyra 2005-12-11 17:10:42)

Hi Ayahuasca, thanks for posting this.   Right now I'm reading the print outs of "How to Drop Out", "Thinking Through the Fall", and "How to Survive the Crash and Save the Earth."

If nothing else, I recommend that everybody at least check out the piece "How to Drop Out," it's a worthwhile read, coming from a guy who's done it himself.  It reminds me a lot of Stuart's writing when he talks about the Fringe Dwellers, and how to walk away from the chaos of everyday society.   I wonder if Ran has read Stuart.  (on a sidenote, Stuart has now in fact become what's known as a Perpetual Traveler, a person who doesn't have a permanent home, and moves around, living in places around the world for several months at a time so as to not have to bother with residency laws and all that.  Hey Ayahuasca, maybe you could re-post that PT link you once did a long time ago if you still have it.....)

On a sidenote, I just have to say, isn't this an amazing thing, that so many of us here are all at this point of wanting to take the next step and find out how to free ourselves up more from the constraints of society, and all at the same relative time??  And that we can all confer with each other and recommend sources to read, and trade notes, and personal experiences and progress with it all?   It's pretty neat.  smile  Just had to add that.   This is what messageboards are ideally all about.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride!"  - Anonymous
-----
"I get by with a little help from my (higher density) friends."
-----

6 (edited by Postitivone 2005-12-11 20:00:28)

Hey guy I read some off his stuff and it seems to be kinda how I was raised ironically I few years ago I would have never thought of dumpster diving or living like this.
Because as I was growing up my grandfather would be like this living on as little as possible, and I was stuiped and told him "What are you doing this is a America". I know better know.
And who is Stuart?

On a a side note would living like this put you in the bum catagory?
I hate the I have to ask this but as I was walking and and thinking about this, there were alot of bums near dumpsters.+

I think this is how I want to live my life.
I've been thinking, and yea I see I'm missing alot of skills.
What can I do know, as a high school student to prepare myself.
What books are really good, and so on.

If the human mind was simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple to understand it.
Emerson Pugh

Postitivone wrote:

I think this is how I want to live my life.
I've been thinking, and yea I see I'm missing alot of skills.
What can I do know, as a high school student to prepare myself.

What books are really good, and so on.

As a high school student? Well, first I recommend that you read The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education

As far as living a drop-out life goes, I highly recommend the book Evasion.

There are also many many other books and materials to be had. Loompanics is a good place to start.

Really learning this stuff doesn't happen through books, though. You just need to try it out and learn from what works, what doesn't, and how it looks and feels. Books, at best, can only point to that.

"Learning of all kinds goes on best, lasts best, and tends to lead itself on more when it grows out of a real focus of interest in the learner." - Carl Rogers

Ayahuasca wrote:

How to Drop Out: http://ranprieur.com/essays/dropout.html

Great article! 

I guess as a parent a lot of this really doesn't apply, but it's true what he says about raising a child within a community.  In a typical city, to make life managable (and legal?) for the children, one needs things like a car, steady income for food/supplies and a stable and managable household.  The problem is that there is so little help without a network of friends or family.  The only people I know are through work and most of them are much older than myself.  We rarely get out of the house.  Building a network takes time and I am patient and confident it will slowly happen as we meet people here.  A network of families would improve our situation greatly!

Although my wife would disagree with me, I love our apartment in town.  It's 15 minutes away from my work, so I always walk and we can get by with a single small car.  We spend very little on gas and insurance.  In the summer I walk past a produce stand every other day walking to work and typically pick up veggies and fruit there along with the weekly CSA box.  I haven't got into dumpster diving... yet !!!  I figure as long as I have sufficent money for food, I'll spend it.  It might not hurt to acquire that skill.  A good friend of mine from college now dumpster dives on a regular basis.  There are a million little money saving ventures that families can do.  Instead of buying baby wipes, I buy white paper towels, fold them two ways and soak them in water + alcohol.  I've hung clotheslines inside of our apartment to save laundry money.  Both my wife and I spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking meals and treats.  The cleaning seems like it never ends with two kids.  Although, cleaning is a great way to improve your mental skills!  We don't have a computer or cable television.  I'd love to get rid of the TV, but my wife isn't ready for that one yet! 

Keeping few possessions/attachments/addictions is the key to a healthy family life I've found.  I'm working on making my life my hobbie and enjoying all the little things that life brings.

Doc: Marty, you're not thinking fourth dimensionally!
Marty McFly: Yeah, I know, I got a real problem with that.

9 (edited by lyra 2006-01-05 09:59:52)

The only thing I can't get into regarding the concept of dropping out is the whole "dumpster diving" deal.   I just can't.  I was raised and conditioned in a society where only poor scroungy homeless people do that sort of thing.  So if I don't *have* to, I certainly won't.  !!  For me, it would have to be absolute desparate times calling for desparate measures to engage in that sort of thing.  That's just the society I was raised in - middle class white America.   Rooting through trash bins and eating thrown away half rotting food and scooping up other people's throw aways is what the scroungy homeless people do.   I'm being blunt and honest here.  This is what it is in our society, the message we're given.   So many images come to mind at the mention of dumpter diving - homeless, dirty, welfare, society's forgotten invisible underclass, wearing raggy clothes, sleeping on benches while the rich breeze past you, ignoring you.

In Oregon, aluminum can recycling is an actual industry, and a way for the poor and downtrodden to earn income.   They will line up at the recycling centers, with bags and bags and bags of cans.   Seeing people rooting through trash is the norm up there.  Coming from 10 years of living in Orange County, California, and Connecticut before that, I'd never SEEN such a thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   People openly and unabashedly grabbing the lid off a public trash bin in broad daylight on a busy public street, then going to town to see what they could find.   I was just like "WHAT THE....?!?!  OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!"  the first time I saw that.   Whipped out my camera and took a pic. 

So yeah, that's the only aspect of all of this I'm not able to reconcile at this point.   I'd do it if I had to........but if I didn't, then I would never become that person I once photographed!!!

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride!"  - Anonymous
-----
-----

Hello lyra, fellow Virginian!

I'd like to tell you, that I am a dumpster diver, and I really enjoy it. I also like to dig through the trash on the street occasionally too, and I have been homeless up until recently. I've eaten half-rotten food, been on welfare, wore raggy clothes, scammed, been all dirty and slept in public places... I am saying this, so that this all is not some big scary foreign "out there" concept - right here is someone who fits the whole disgusting horrible bogey-man that you described. And many of my friends would fit that description as well.

To be honest, it really isn't all that bad. If you have your health, and you're alive, then you've pretty much got it made. One of the worst things about living like that is the fear. For me, it's fear of things not turning out well, of getting hurt, etc. The thing is, with some basic common sense smarts, and keeping your eyes open, and learning from what you can, then you've got a good thing going for you. These fears can be quite intimidating, I know, but the great freedom, spontaneity, discovery, creativity, resourcefulness and adventure more than makes up for it.

You mentioned a number of times that these attitudes are because of how you were raised - all middle class, white, American and sheltered. That's great, I come from the same background too. And I agree, such a background really does a number on one's psyche, sense of awareness and adaptiveness. That being said, once you've noticed that personal response, attitude and background and what-not, then you can work with it. Like, you notice that, then you can go further, beyond even. Take your time with this, this is very important, for not doing so can make the whole thing appear non-sensical and non-existant for you.

For example, you notice those thoughts, the same thoughts that you just typed up all right here. OK, and how do feel in conjunction with those thoughts? Disgusted, repulsed, awe-struck and scared, I presume. OK, and how does that feel in your body then? Only you can answer that... And what does that mean for you? Maybe you're wanting a sense of assurance of safety, dignity and respect? Maybe you're concerned that a kind of consideration and fulfilling self-empowerment is not possible? I don't know, these are all just guesses - only you can unpack your own deeper personal meanings around all of this.

I am saying all of this for a reason, not just to be a contrarian know-it-all. That is, I am hoping to convey a sense of, a possibility of, the fact that what things mean and how they work does not necessarily have to be what it initially appears to you to be. What all this means for other people, and what it means for you too, does not exactly have to be what you first see it as. All your first wave of thoughts and judgements aside, regardless of where they all originally came from, does not necessarily have to be identified with "the way things are". I think that recognizing that, and putting it aside(as opposed to repressing it), can potentially have the effect of removing a veil - and what is seen after that is far more rich, more intricate and full of possibility than what was previously conceived. It is for this hope, that I am talking here.

"Learning of all kinds goes on best, lasts best, and tends to lead itself on more when it grows out of a real focus of interest in the learner." - Carl Rogers

Wow, parenthesis, you've certainly had an interesting life!  I must admit, sometimes I yearn for that sort of freedom.  I certainly wouldn't think being homeless as the end of the world.  In fact, I'd say that it's just as valid existence as anything else.

* When we start identifying wisdom with our ability to comprehend its form, what wisdom is that?
* Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
* People want platitudes, not progress.

12 (edited by lyra 2006-01-05 20:38:12)

Parenthesis Eye wrote:

You mentioned a number of times that these attitudes are because of how you were raised - all middle class, white, American and sheltered.  That's great, I come from the same background too. And I agree, such a background really does a number on one's psyche, sense of awareness and adaptiveness.

Well, I probably gave the wrong impression with that post - trust me, I have no problems with adaptiveness and being a survivalist.  Montalk can vouch for that one!    The problem with that post is that the entire bigger picture of my experiences and who I am was left out.   So you have one teeny tiny bit, which makes it sound like I'm sheltered and lack "awareness" and "adaptiveness", like you said.

Parenthesis Eye wrote:

That being said, once you've noticed that personal response, attitude and background and what-not, then you can work with it. Like, you notice that, then you can go further, beyond even. Take your time with this, this is very important, for not doing so can make the whole thing appear non-sensical and non-existant for you.

For me there's no need to work with anything like you say, because if I had to, I could snap into survivalist "soldier" mode...and have actually.  Again, my post was one small bit, and not representative of who I am in the bigger picture.   

Parenthesis Eye wrote:

For example, you notice those thoughts, the same thoughts that you just typed up all right here. OK, and how do feel in conjunction with those thoughts? Disgusted, repulsed, awe-struck and scared, I presume.  OK, and how does that feel in your body then? Only you can answer that... And what does that mean for you? Maybe you're wanting a sense of assurance of safety, dignity and respect? Maybe you're concerned that a kind of consideration and fulfilling self-empowerment is not possible? I don't know, these are all just guesses - only you can unpack your own deeper personal meanings around all of this.

Fear?  Over homeless people?   I don't think so.  !  Not to sound snitty, which this probably will, but I've been up against some things in life.  And homeless people is the least of my fears.   Seriously!   I used to take trips to San Francisco from empty, soulless Orange County, and hanging around with the homeless people in Union Square was always the highlight of the trip.  Because they were the only thing that was real.   (among other instances of me and my associations with the homeless, no need to get into it here....)

At any rate, the deeper personal meanings around all of this (talking about Portland here) was that the homeless there were completely different from the homeless I'd seen in other places.  In other places, they were more low key...not so desparate.  I was more surprised......not fearful.........just surprised at the level of desparation I saw going on in Portland.   In California, even the homeless are good looking and well off... 

...That's a joke, but, it's to make a point.  Things were just so different in Portland, in ALL aspects of life, and the level of desparate downtrodden-ness was something I hadn't seen anywhere else.  I didn't know people - so MANY people - could be that far gone and so that desparate in life.  Rampant alcoholism, people drunk, crawling, passed out on the streets, store shelves cleaned out of their alcohol, the highest unemployment rate in the nation at that time, a scroungy woman pushing an entire shopping cart loaded past the rim with 6 and 12 packs of alchohol, lines with dozens of people carrying bags and bags of aluminum cans to make money off of, people openly dumpster diving with that sense of zealous desparation.   Everywhere else, the homeless I'd seen were more laid back. 

Like I said, I could dumpster dive if I had to, I'm just not at a point where I'm willing to go to that level.  Yes, it's societal programming, but also I figure, why stoop to that if I don't have to, you know?  There may be plenty of time for that in the future, where I'll have no choice but to be rooting through trash, on the lam, running from TPTB and their NWO and microchipped society, and so be it....but til then, I'm going to enjoy not having to do so.  smile   I *can* be in soldier mode....(it's almost like I've had abduction programming for how to be this way, because it doesn't match AT all my upbringing, there's no logical explanation for where it comes from....) but it doesn't mean I want to do so if I don't have to.

-----
-----

13 (edited by wandering1 2006-01-06 01:14:43)

Ayahuasca wrote:

I'm not completely convinced the crash is going to be quite as serious as he thinks

I've thought about a possible "crash" quite a bit.  I think that it is highly likely that we will live through a major adjustment period which will likely be called a crash by the media.

I think that there is a high probability that (at some point) stock markets in the US and around the world will "crash".  In fact, I see that as a pretty obvious statement and I am still somewhat surprised when I talk to people who see things differently.

Even if the major adjustment period moves into full swing tomorrow in major, obvious ways, I already feel that we have somehow passed a turning/inflection point in this regard.

By this I mean, if some of the worst scenarios were going to play themselves out, then I think they would already be in a higher gear than they are right now.

I am aware of massive poverty and starvation that exists already on a global scale, but I feel that the changes that are coming will affect both the "haves" and the "have nots".

I feel that there is plenty of room for big time suffering, but that some of the "worst nightmare" scenarios have passed for this planet and will likely not be actualized (at least that's how I see things right now).

Heya lyra,

I appreciate this last post of yours, it clarifies a whole bunch that I was previously unclear about. I suppose that I jumped to making a stereo-type-based accessment of you, and then responded to that.

I am curious about this "soldier mode" that you speak of... What is it exactly? Does it really feel like you are at war?

Parenthesis Eye wrote:

I am curious about this "soldier mode" that you speak of... What is it exactly? Does it really feel like you are at war?

Well, it's exactly as it sounds...like being a soldier.  smile  Like having military training...except, I haven't.  Even in the smallest details, like noting "...check it out, at 2:00...."  Meaning, the 2:00 position on the horizon.  That's military speak.   Although that's a silly, trivial example to cite.  In a bigger sense it's about being able to snap into this mode where my psychic abilities amp up in full swing, I'm ready willing and able to do whatever I have to do to survive, including dangerous and risky things, normal bodily needs get muted - food, sleep - not necessary, and I can shove my way through extreme circumstances that might otherwise do other people in.   Heat, cold, stress, lack of sleep, food, etc.   "Tough" might be the word for it.   But again, it contradicts the upbringing I've had.   So knowing that I'm an "abductee", that's one major theory for where this all comes from.   

Anyway, gotta run for now!

-----
-----