1 (edited by lyra 2005-08-09 19:10:18)

Topic: Never grow up! :)

Today I joined e-bay and participated in my first ever auctions..........all just so I could win several vintage Strawberry Shortcake dolls from the early 80's.  smile smile smile  Now I finally get to have the dolls I didn't get for my collection back when I was a kid.   haha    I'm 30, and here I am, buying Strawberry Shortcake dolls.  tongue   When I was a kid and they stopped selling them I thought that was it, I was out of luck.  sad   I figured I would never get the ones that I was missing.   So I love the internet!  E-bay rules!     Seriously, these were my all time favorite toys, ever when I was a kid.  I remember watching the commercials for them throughout 1979, when I was 4.  I was mesmerized by the t.v. screen.........scented dolls???  I HAD to have them!!  When Christmas came and I had to make out my wish list to Santa that was the only thing I asked for.  "Strawberry Shortcake dolls."  My mom had to nudge me to think of something else.  "There must be something else you want...."   I didn't want anything else though.  I wanted Strawberry Shortcake dolls.  That's it!   

Two years ago at a job in Florida, a female coworker of mine found out that I still had all my SSC dolls and her whole face just lit up.  I told her I would bring them in so she could see.  She was like, "YES!  Cool!"  The next day when she opened the lid to the container it was like magic and happiness in a box! smile  Seriously, she became someone else.  She was a little kid again.  It was neat. 

Anybody else still have their all time favorite childhood toys?  Or ever try to track them down and get them back, like on the internet?    Buying these dolls today on e-bay made me realize that there just aren't any dolls out there nowadays like the SSC dolls, (or ANY of the 80's dolls.....Rainbow Brite, Herself the Elf, and all that cool 80's toy madness.......)     Now when you go to the toystore they have these horrid dolls called 'Bratz'.   Yes, with a z.  hmm  They're these ghetto fabulous bling bling wearing materialistic rap gangsta hoochies.   I don't know how else to describe them.   Awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    In comparison, SSC dolls were all cute and pure and innocent.   Freckles, little pets, the cutest outfits you've ever seen, cute hair with all different colors and styles.   

Yes!
http://www.crazy4dolls.com/images/singlestrawandcustard.jpg
http://dreamfollow.com/lilypad/pictures/SSdolls.jpg

NO!!!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38275000/jpg/_38275848_bratz150.jpg
http://images.killermovies.com/x/xxx/Bratz.jpg

Times have certainly changed. 

(btw, I'm not one of those crazy doll collector women peoples.......I just want a couple of more SSC dolls because I didn't get them all as a kid. smile )

Oh yes, and thanks to the wonders of the internet and Amazon.com, I also tracked down some of my favorite books from when I was a kid.  Rounded those back up. 

And today I bought "The Goonies" on DVD.  THE all time fave childhood movie of mine.

big_smile

I wonder, as the world gets crazier and crazier, am I burying my head in the sand or what??  hehe Seriously.  Maybe it's a good thing though.  Sure beats the fear frequency.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride!"  - Anonymous
-----
"I get by with a little help from my (higher density) friends."
-----

Re: Never grow up! :)

Chunk, the ultimate hero!

" Then it was, then again it will be. And though the course may change sometimes rivers always reach the sea." Robert Plant

3 (edited by Xenopope 2005-08-10 01:21:09)

thook wrote:

Who?

lyra wrote:

Anybody else still have their all time favorite childhood toys?

Erm, sure! Video games! and legos. But that was before Video games! big_smile So I have a theory. Any creative desire to map video games is somehow primal creative instinct from my childhood when I built things with legos (and played video games and also would make up uhrm, dungeons? and had a very innocent creative drive to extend the joy of the game).

lyra wrote:

Or ever try to track them down and get them back, like on the internet?

Oh, yes. Well not in it's original form, but I'm sure my grotesquely massive collection to date would qualify as 'tracking them down and getting then back' AND THEN SOME. Since I ended up tracking down WAY MORE than I ever had in the first place. So, yea. Obsession would be the understatement of the millinium. But, I dunno. Not many people see this list. So you tell me - Obsessive?

Obsessive Gaming Reference wrote:

Emu Gaming Reference

NES

Action in New York
Castlevania
Castlevania - Skel's Revenge (Hack)
Castlevania Remix (Hack)
Castlevania 6 (Hack)
Castlevania 2
Castlevania - Vengence on Hell (Hack)
Castlevania 3
Contra
Golgo 13 - The Mafat Conspiracy
Golgo 13 - Top Secret Episode
Gryzor
Heavy Shreddin'
Lunar Pool
Megaman
Megaman - Wily's Conquest (Hack)
Megaman 2
Megaman 3
Reddler's Escape From Arkham (Hack)
Megaman 4
Megaman 5
Protoman (Hack)
Megaman 6
Metroid
Metroid - Zebian Illusion (Hack)
Metroid Challenge v.0.75 (unfinished Hack)
Metroid Deluxe (Hack)
Metroid - Eternal Darkness (Hack)
Metroid Hack v.1.0 (Hack)
Metroid - Origin (Hack)
Metroid Remix (Hack)
Metroid TSI (Hack)
Metroid X (Hack)
Metroid Planet (Hack)
My Metroid (Hack)
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 3
Punch Out
Ski or Die
Street Fighter VI - 12 People
Street Fighter Zero 2
Super C
The Legend of Zelda
Fall of the Moon (Hack)
The Monkey of Zelda (Hack)
Zelda - Gannon's Revenge (Hack)
Zelda - Outlands (Hack)
The Zelda Story (Hack)
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
Chaos World
Final Fantasy (with 9 hacks)
Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy 3
King's Quest V
Sted
Sweet Home
Wanderers From Ys 2

Genesis

Castlevania - The New Generation
Contra - Hard Corps
Ninja Gaiden
Phantasy Star 3
Phantasy Star 4
Punisher
Road Rash
Road Rash 2
Road Rash 3
Super Shinobi 2
Shinobi 3
Shinobi - Shadow Dancer
Spiderman vs. Kingpin
Strider
Strider 2

SNES

Akumajo Drakula XX (Jap)
Castlevania 4
Championship Pool
Contra 3
Cybernator
Flashback
Frontmission
F-Zero
F-Zero 2
Genocide 2
Hagane
Legend
Marvel Super Heroes - War of the Gems
Maximum Carnage
Mechwarrior (German)
Megaman 7
Megaman 9
Megaman X
Megaman X2
Megaman X3
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Ninja Warriors
No Escape
Out of this World
Outer World (Jap)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 4 - Wall of Fire
Romancing Saga
Romancing Saga 3
R-Type 3
Runsaber
Seperation Anxiety
Shadow Run
Spawn
Spiderman - Lethal Foes
Super Earth Defense Force
Super Metroid
Super R-Type
Tales of Phantasia
The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past
Utyu no Kishi Tekkaman Blade (Jap)
Weapon Lord
Wolverine - Adamantiun Rage
X-Men - Mutant Apocalypse

Neo Geo

Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal fury 3
Fatal Fury Special
King of Fighters 2001
King of Fighters 2002
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
(the rest are in M.A.M.E.32)

Nintendo 64

Aeroguage
Airboarders 64
Automobili Lamborghini
Batman Beyond - Return of the Joker
Beast Wars - Transmetals
Castlevania 64
Castlevania - Legacy of Darkness
Extreme G
Extreme G 2
F-1 World Grand Prix
F-Zero X
Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask
Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time
Mission Impossible
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Mortal Kombat Mythologies - Sub Zero
Perfect Dark
Pilot Wings 64
Resident Evil 2
Road Rash 64
Robotech - Crystal Dreams
Sonic Wings Assault
Spider Man
Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64
Wipeout 64

GameBoy Advance

Broken Sword - The Shadow of the Templars
Castlevania Advance
Castlevania - Harmony of Dissonance
Contra Advance - The Alien Wars EX
Dave Mirra's Freestyle BMX 2
ESPN X-Games Skatebording
ESPN Winter X-Games Snowboarding 2002
F-Zero Advance
Iridion 3D
Megaman Zero
Metroid 2 (GameBoy)
Metroid Fusion
Silent Scope
Spiderman - Mysterio's Menace
Spiderman the Movie
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Zelda - Link's Awakening (GameBoy)
Zelda - Oracle of Ages
Zelda - Oracle of Seasons
Zelda - The Four Swords

Arcade

720 Degrees
Aero Fighters
Aero Fighters 2
Aero Fighters 3
Air Duel
Aliens
Armed Police Batrider
Armed Warriors
Art of Fighting
Art of Fighting 2
Art of Fighting 3
Blasteroids
Blazing Star
Blood Storm
Championship Sprint
Chase HQ
Contra
Cruisn' USA
Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness
Daraku Tenshi - The Fallen Angels
Darkstalkers - The Night Warriors
Dungeons & Dragons - Shadow Over Mystara
Dungeons & Dragons - Tower of Doom
F-1 Grand Prix Star
Golden Axe
Gunbird 2
Gunforce 2
Gyruss
Hyper Duel
Ironman Stewart's Super Off Road
Jr. Pac-Man
Kabuki Klash - Far East of Eden
King of Fighters '94
King of Fighters '95
King of Fighters '96
King of Fighters '97
King of Fighters '98
King of Fighters '99
King of Fighters 2000
Last Blade
Last Blade 2
Marvel Super Heroes
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
Marvel vs. Capcom - Clash of Super Heroes
Megaman - The Power Battle
Metamoquester
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 2
Mortal Kombat 3
Narc
Nightwarriors - Darkstalker's Revenge
Ninja Gaiden
Oriental Legend
Outrun
Pac-Man
Pocket Fighter
Primal Rage
The Punisher
R-Type
R-Type 2
R-Type Leo
Road Blasters
S.T.U.N. Runner
Saint Dragon
Samurai Showdown
Samurai Showdown 2
Samurai Showdown 3
Shadow Force
Shinobi
Smash TV
Sol Divide
Sonic Wings
Space Bomber
Space Harrier
Street Fighter
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter Alpha - Warrior's Dreams
Street Fighter Zero 2
Street Fighter Zero 3
Street Fighter the Movie
Strider
Super Chase - Criminal Termination
Super Contra
Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix
Super Sprint
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Street Fighter 2 - The New Challengers
Survival Arts
Tempest
Toobin'
Total Carnage
Vampire Savior 2: The Lord of Vampire
World Grand Prix
World Heroes Perfect
X-Men
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
X-Men: Children of the Atom
Xybots

PC Game Referemce

Hexen
Quake
Heretic - Shadow of the Serpent Riders
Delta Force
Half Life
Rainbow Six - Covert Ops
Grand Theft Auto 3
Insane Offroad Racing
Interstate '82
Master Ralley
Midtown Madness
Toca 2
Viper Racing
Castrol Honda Superbike 2000
Ducati World Racing
Motorcross Madness 3
Motor Racer 2
Road Rash
Star Wars Episode I - Pod Racer
Spiderman
Spiderman the Movie
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Mortal Kombat 4
Driver
Elder Scrolls III - Morrowind
Heretic 2
Rune
American McGee's Alice
Gothic
Hitman
Oni
Ghost Recon
Rainbow Six Rogue Spear - Urban Ops
Serious Sam
Serious Sam - The Second Encounter
Need for Speed 4 - High Stakes
Need for Speed 5 - Porche Unleashed
Test Drive 6
Sports Car GT
Gran Prix 3
Superbikes 2001
GP 500
Unreal Tournament
Tribes
Tribes 2
Half Life - Blue Shift
Half Life - Day of Defeat v3.1
Half Life - Counterstrike
Half Life - Natural Selection
Half Life 1.1.1.0 Update
Comanche 4
European Air War
F-22 Total Air War
Gore - Ultimate Soldier
Max Payne
Quake 2
CIA Operative - Solo Missions
Delta Force 3 - Land Warrior
Operation Flashpoint
Thief - The Dark Project
Vietnam - Black Ops 2

So, that, plus about 10-18 others not listed, and yea.

*backs away slowly*

I am as is Void.

4 (edited by lyra 2005-08-07 21:06:36)

Xenopope wrote:
thook wrote:

Who?

Chunk, from The Goonies.  smile   If you haven't seen it, it's a classic.   Nobody should have gone through childhood without The Goonies!  big_smile   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089218

Found this hilarious pic online of Sloth and Chunk:

http://www.t-shirtking.com/graphics/166-00076.jpg

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride!"  - Anonymous
-----
-----

Toys used to be a lot more creative and mature in their design and story line. Other than the Masters of the Universe toys, my favorites were MegaForce and Captain Power. The MegaForce toys were of unsurpassed quality, full diecast metal tanks and helicopters, very detailed schematics of the various vehicles. And Captain Power, well visit the link and check out the storyline which is reminiscent of the Matrix Trilogy storyline.

Nothing like epic futuristic battles between darkness and light, though. Ratttatattata---zhewwww---zheewww--zhewww-kaboom!! haha, j/k.  ...I think the types of toys we played with can, to some extent, reflect the deeper aspects of who we are.  I feel sorry for kids who own the entire Bratz collection.

Acquiring fringe knowledge is like digging for diamonds in a mine field.

6 (edited by Xenopope 2005-08-08 07:51:10)

lyra wrote:

Chunk, from The Goonies.  smile   If you haven't seen it, it's a classic.   Nobody should have gone through childhood without The Goonies!  big_smile

Eugh. hmm okay, yes, I've seen Goonies the movie. And I played the arcade game as a kid, but honestly, I coulda done without the picture of Chunk before I'm tryin' to go to bed. XO *cringes*

But yea, and I forgot to mention I collected comics, too. Spiderman (all three popular series at the time - including 'Amazing', 'Peter Parker the Spectacular', 'Web Of' and the fourth series 'Tom MacFarlane's Spiderman') AND I DID also collect 'Cloak & Dagger' -

http://www.exegesis.nu/pics/2739_4_4.jpg

http://www.comics.org/series.lasso?seriesid=2739

http://www.comics.org/covers.lasso?seriesid=2739

Montalk wrote:

Nothing like epic futuristic battles between darkness and light, though.

This was the epitome of those two forces joined together - Cloak being the dark (dimensional?) portal to a cold and dead realm and Dagger being his guide, the bright, light-dagger yeilding Illuminid One. And as you can see, their first appearance was in Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #64.

Back in '97, I had every Cloak & Dagger comic in all the first three series'. As an interesting side note, my whole collection (of that comic) was stolen at that time. But I still have my Peter Parker the Spectacluar #1!! and #'s 3 & 4. And one box of Spiderman . . .

So, now you're making me want to go hunt down copies of Cloak & Dagger comics, Lyra!

But, yea, so the moral of the story is - Chunk is not the ultimate hero. Cloak & Dagger are when they team up with Spider-Man!

I am as is Void.

Xenopope wrote:

Eugh. hmm okay, yes, I've seen Goonies the movie. And I played the arcade game as a kid, but honestly, I coulda done without the picture of Chunk before I'm tryin' to go to bed. XO *cringes*

Chunk is the kid..........Sloth is the deformed guy - that's probably who you're cringing about I imagine, rather than Chunk.  !   smile 

Xenopope wrote:

So, now you're making me want to go hunt down copies of Cloak & Dagger comics, Lyra!

Cool!  I don't know why, but today I'm all about the idea of regressing back to childhood stuff that made us happy.   We must not forget what it was to be a kid, and what that felt like.  smile 

Xenopope wrote:

But, yea, so the moral of the story is - Chunk is not the ultimate hero.

Don't diss Chunk like that!!!!   big_smile  haha

-----
-----

'Doctor Strange and' -

http://cgi.ebay.com/STRANGE-TALES-CLOAK … dZViewItem

1989 -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cloak-and-Dagger-Vo … dZViewItem

Complete first series -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marvel-Cloak-and-Da … dZViewItem

Complete second series -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marvel-Cloak-and-Da … dZViewItem

Mutant Misadventures -

http://cgi.ebay.com/MUTANT-MISADVENTURE … dZViewItem

I'm going to bed now, dammit. :{D

I am as is Void.

9 (edited by lyra 2005-08-08 16:24:00)

montalk wrote:

I think the types of toys we played with can, to some extent, reflect the deeper aspects of who we are.  I feel sorry for kids who own the entire Bratz collection.

That's so true.......Regarding girl's toys, I remember reading something a few years ago that totally rang true, it was, "You were either a Barbie girl or a Strawberry Shortcake girl."   It was an either / or thing.  You couldn't be both, because they're polar opposites that don't mix.  It went on to say how SSC dolls influenced the style that you saw girls wearing in the 90's.  Babydoll dresses, tights - especially striped tights -  chunky buckled shoes, bright Manic Panic brand colored hair in blue, green, purple, orange, red, yellow - That was pure SSC, all the way.  We were all unconsciously emulating our SSC dolls!  big_smile    My mom bought me a couple of Barbies, and a Malibu Ken, but I rarely touched them.  They just sat in a box in my closet, I just didn't like or "get" the point of Barbies, and I certainly never requested Barbies from my parents, ever.   And Ken was appalling to me.   That whole deal was just all wrong, even to my 6 year old mind.   I would pull off his head and blow into the hole in the neck, making a funny "woooooooo" noise.   That's about all he was good for.  big_smile haha  Little girls should not be playing with "dolls" that are replicas of grown, muscle-y men wearing little swim shorts.  blach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   That just stayed in the box, thank you. 

And the Bratz dollz hmm are just an abhorration.   What are they teaching these girlzz nowadays?  Looks, vanity, shopping, bling, attitude, ego.   Be shallow and stupid.  And people just eat them up.   Toys for OP's, that's what they are.

-----
-----

10 (edited by Xenopope 2005-08-08 17:56:35)

Toys for OPs!!!! Aaarrgghh GOD!!!!! bleckbleckbleckbleckbleck! The kid down the street collected these and I never, EVER understood his fascination with them! They're Garbage Pail Kids cards.
*writhes in repulsive infectious disgust* Don't look them up online. Trust me - just don't. It's not worth it.

He was the punk-rich kid on the block - kids only liked him because he had all the toys - other than that he was a mean punk kid and I never liked him otherwise.

I clearly remember thinking, "Why are kids allowed to see these? Much less, trade them openly in our society!"

And there he was, with innocent wide-eyed fascination of all the disgustingly detailed and repulsuve images.

I am as is Void.

11 (edited by lyra 2005-08-08 22:02:22)

Xenopope wrote:

Toys for OPs!!!! Aaarrgghh GOD!!!!! bleckbleckbleckbleckbleck! The kid down the street collected these and I never, EVER understood his fascination with them! They're Garbage Pail Kids cards.
*writhes in repulsive infectious disgust* Don't look them up online. Trust me - just don't. It's not worth it.

He was the punk-rich kid on the block - kids only liked him because he had all the toys - other than that he was a mean punk kid and I never liked him otherwise.

I clearly remember thinking, "Why are kids allowed to see these? Much less, trade them openly in our society!"

And there he was, with innocent wide-eyed fascination of all the disgustingly detailed and repulsuve images.

Ah yes, the Garbage Pail Kids.  Indeed, I remember those cards!   hmm  Another shining beacon of American culture.  roll   It's interesting that you talk about the punk rich kid down the block being all into them while you were repulsed by them.   The neighbor kids where I lived for 9 years in prison hell, I mean Connecticut, were WAAAAAY into these cards.  They all had them, which is how I was able to see them.    These kids were nasty kids too, some of the nastiest people I've ever known in fact.   The level of hate and nastiness eminating from them was astounding.  !  So they were collecting Garbage Pail Kids cards and there I was collecting E.T. cards, (you know, from the movie "E.T.")   Think that says a lot.    We moved to CT when I was 7;  by the time I was 9 I had the major falling out with those kids.  In retrospect, I take it as a compliment that they hated me.  big_smile  Means we were polarized in opposite directions.  If they had liked me then I would be in some serious trouble I think!   egads.  Can't imagine!  I did get to see some of the cards though, cuz you originally posted a link in your post to them.  big_smile   I remembered so many of them, it's kind of surprising.  Felt like it was 1985 again, or whatever year they were out.  The cards didn't upset me as a kid or anything, but they did shock me a little.   Up to that point I'd never seen imagery like that.     

But Xenopope, I'm surprised to read that they shocked you so much..............you, the guy with the 50 bezillion video games, including Grand Theft Auto!   I would have thought nothing would shock you.  big_smile   Seriously, I'm confused.........

-----
-----

12 (edited by Xenopope 2005-08-09 09:08:04)

lyra wrote:

I did get to see some of the cards though, cuz you originally posted a link in your post to them.  big_smile

Did not. Never happened. lalala!  big_smile

lyra wrote:

..............you, the guy with the 50 bezillion video games, including Grand Theft Auto!   I would have thought nothing would shock you.  big_smile   Seriously, I'm confused.........

Video games have an excuse! There's a story line, or a plot! What's GPK cards excuse?? Nothing! "Hi!, Were just disgusting and repulisve on purpose, so, Give us to your children and tell them to enjoy!!" . . . Blleeuaaauuurrggh.

In Grand Theft Auto, at least there's a thug around the corner who TOLD you to go shoot the cops!  big_smile

And plus, 1985? This was a time when things like this weren't exactly the pillars of many societies.

I am as is Void.

OMG Lyra  big_smile

The pic's of the "Ho" dolls made me almost  me pee my pants laughing  wink 

Gotta say that the little red wagon, modeling clay, and making up plays were my fav's as a youngster.  Guess having 2 sisters close in age helped a lot too.   We had a lot of fun and laughs.

One time my younger sis decided to play barber shop with the boy across the street (same age as her).  He had a rather severe buzz cut, and she decided that a little yellow clay to even out some of the color variations would help.   Well.... His mumsy wasn't too impressed with the results, she was pretty upset and had to use a LOT of butter to get all the clay out.   Dunno if the other sister put her up to it, but we all got a good laugh...

Does anyone remember the REALLY old toy called vacuumform?  It was one of those "much coveted toys" that heated small squares of thin plastic to make all kinds of stuff: little cars, funky glasses, flowers, ect.  Well, it didn't take too long to figure out what else we could do with the heating element on that thing.  Frequently we would heat crayon wax and paint clothes on Barbie and Ken-mostly Ken cause he NEVER had as many outfits/clothes that Barbie did.  It was a blast.

Good to remember stuff like that and remember we can still do "kid stuff" even though we are "all growed up."  wink

If there is no time
      Then you have time for everything.
   You're never in a hurry.
That's true freedom.

14 (edited by lyra 2005-08-09 22:55:33)

manyeagles wrote:

OMG Lyra  big_smile

The pic's of the "Ho" dolls made me almost  me pee my pants laughing  wink

big_smile   I know, aren't they awful?  !!   Seriously, my god.    I can't even imagine being given those as my source of dolls to play with.   sad   It's sad.  I feel bad for kids today.  Hopefully some of them will do what I would have done with those dolls....stare at them, confused, then stuff em in a box and shove em in the closet.

!

-----
-----

15 (edited by Auendove 2005-08-10 05:19:54)

montalk wrote:

...I think the types of toys we played with can, to some extent, reflect the deeper aspects of who we are.

I think you're right, although I'm basing my agreeance on some toys I'd always wanted, even asked Santa for, hmm in person, and never got. I always wanted an Easy Bake Oven, and one of those big boxes of miniature dishes, bowls, flatwear, cups, etc.. And while I'm at it, I wanted a kids' dining room table and chairs.... but that Easy Bake Oven was the bomb as far as I was concerned.

smile I took a moment and googled "Easy Bake Oven"... I've found googling even the most obscure of concepts and notions will return something interesting nearly every time.

I opened the link below and got the biggest grin on my face, I thought, "Heeello! Welcome to my world!" LOL!!! I am so happy when I'm in a kitchen cooking, especially for others... and the more the merrier!

Snicker! Snort!... if you open the link make sure to move your pointer over the kitchen big_smile . I'm tellin' ya, I'm grinning the grin of a five year old right now! cool Great thread lyra!

http://search.hp.netscape.com/hp/boomfr … asybake%2F

The thing is, even though I didn't get these toys, I really wanted them, and that has (now that montalk pointed it out) translated into my adult life. Working in the food service field was/is the most gratifying mainstream career choice I've made. I am in my element when I cook for others.

I've been reading along since this thread was started, and I was trying to remember what toys I had... I don't think I had many, or those that I could actually "play" with. It's not that I was abused or we were poverty stricken or anything like that, I think it's because until I was in 7th grade we moved a lot. It was probably a strategic move on my mother's part, she surely must've gotten sick of packing and unpacking everytime she turned around.

I did have Barbies, but I really didn't like 'em. I had a fantastic exotic doll collection my father brought home from his Naval tours of duty, but I wasn't allowed to play with them... heck, some of them were in glass cases! I had a whole load of stuffed toys, but those were for decoration. The last time I saw the doll collection and stuffed toys was about 25 yrs ago. If they're still around it is because my father hasn't yet thrown them away.

I had a bike and I liked to play with "outside" (still do)... climb trees, explore bugs (some bugs), etc.. I would even sneek off into the jungle when we lived in the Philippines... boy-howdy, I would've gotten in big time trouble if I had've been caught doing that! I just HAD to go in there though... had to wink .

One toy that I had that kept me busy was an Etch-a-Sketch... I bet all of you had one. I made sure my son had one too. Here's a link to an online Etch-a-Sketch, if you feel like playing--

http://search.hp.netscape.com/hp/boomfr … neetch.htm

We had game boards also. And again, like with the oven, I really wanted the Operation game, but never got it... and I grew up to be a Reiki Master! LOL! When I'd go to a friends house that had Operation I would be all over it.

I would play with Jacks and Ball sets a lot also, and jumped rope. Actually, I have bought a set of Jacks and Ball as an adult, and sat on the floor playing with them... there's something zen about playing with them solitary. Hmmmm... I think I'll get myself some next time I go to the store.

I spent a lot of time reading when I was a kid--lots of Nancy Drew, Little House, etc., and I liked the Archie comic books.

From the age of seven on I had a piano to "play" with, and I took lessons for about 10 years.

But my most cherished toy? My little turntable, and collection of 45's.... and <blush> Elvis Presley soundtracks!

manyeagles wrote:

... and making up plays were my fav's as a youngster.

And this reminds me... my friends and I would set up stages with boxes, get up there with a pretend microphone in our hand, and sing along to the record playing. We'd even, <majorly blushing>, play the Elvis soundtracks and each sing a part!

My favorite 45 record solo was "Boots" by Nancy Sinatra. lol lol lol I had this pair of red vinyl boots... I'd wear them while singing along, and oh-my, but I would strut! What a goofy kid I was! Too funny!

manyeagles wrote:

...little red wagon...

Now this is a toy I want RIGHT NOW! I've wanted a red wagon for a couple of years now so when I go to the beach I can pull along all my beach gear, and not have to lug it.

And ya know what big_smile? I have a paycheck comin' soon, and I may very well just buy myself one! HA!

errrm... well, now that I think about it, where will I store it... we've got gosh darn kites everywhere!

Y'all should go fly a kite! Now there's a great toy for folks of ALL ages!

This was a great fun post to write, thanks again lyra!

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
------
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance.
------
If you spin around on your chair really fast, things around here will make a lot more sense.

lol