Topic: For any star gazers out there

Last night, rather early, decided to see if star gazing would be OK for the night.  There has been lotsa chem trails and onshore stuff going on, but it seemed a good time to try any check out anything worthwhile.

Got the binoculars out for "test try" at about 8:11 here pacific west time for starters.  A bit easier to get binoculars out before hauling out the telescope, sometimes the smog is so funky it's not worth the effort sad

Well lo and behold a "something" turned up.  This something has turned up times 4 times the past 3-4 mo's or so. Viewing southwest, in the area termed M4 and in the general vicinity of the Scorpio constellation my mate and I have observed something flying rather fast that does not seem to be the usual ... 

Tiny white dots flying in 4'o'clock to 10 o'clock positions very, very fast.  Said "dots" were noted to be at 2-3 mach speed.  This was observed to be at the left side of the moon at about 4-10 o'clock position.  I saw something at about 4:30 on the 15th in the exact same area.  A roundish dark grey/black tiny triangular shaped craft.  The day time sighting did not correlate to usual flight patterns or flight safety space considerations. 

There may be some of us who have a telescope or binoculars ect., but it would be interesting if anyone else has noticed similar "things" in the same area.

If there is no time
      Then you have time for everything.
   You're never in a hurry.
That's true freedom.

2 (edited by lyra 2004-08-24 08:00:39)

Re: For any star gazers out there

Hi manyeagles........

I can't say that I've noticed anything in the skies myself, but I wanted to ask.......have you ever gone star gazing out in the Mojave?  Or Joshua Tree?  The Mojave has some of the BEST star gazing I've ever seen!!!    I've been out to Mitchell's Caverns off the 40 freeway, and that was superb.   You can see the sweeping bands of the Milky Way the way it looks in those "Astronomy Magazine" photos.   You can also see the Andromeda galaxy REALLY well with just a set of binoculars.  It's absolutely amazing.     The sky is so pitch black out there, and there's no civilization for at least a 50 square mile radius.   No light pollution, and NO smog.   

I really recommend Mitchell's caverns for star gazing.   It has camping facilities, and in the morning, you can do the guided tour of the limestone caverns.   They're a smaller version of Carlsbad caverns.  It's a lot of fun!   

Also recommend the area called "Devil's Playground" in the Mojave which has the Kelso dunes which you can climb, and Afton Canyon, which they call the "Grand Canyon of the Mojave."   The Mojave River carved out the rock, just like in the Grand Canyon, leaving behind multi colored rock layers.   

I miss the Mojave, you can tell.  smile

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride!"  - Anonymous
-----
"I get by with a little help from my (higher density) friends."
-----

Re: For any star gazers out there

And if you happen upon a travel trailer out in the middle of the Mojave, say hello to Captain Beefheart.
Where I'm located, there is no light pollution either. The night sky here is very conducive to stargazing, except for the mountains blocking the side views.
No ufos yet this year, but two years ago the lights from some reported ufo activity over the Kelso/Longview, WA are was visible from my previous location 8 miles from here.