Topic: Cheap cell phone service?

Cell phone plans have got to be one of the biggest scams that people put up with. I pay about US$50 per month to make 4 or 5 phone calls, which is ridiculous. I'm just wondering if you guys know any shortcuts in this system or ways to get cheap cell phone service, like pay-by-the-minute or something. Anyone here know about stuff like that?

Re: Cheap cell phone service?

I use the Tracphone, a cheapie I bought at the drugstore. They are also available at big bargain stores. It cost thirty bucks. For service, you can purchase cards for amounts of time you need. The phone has a screen that tells you how many units you have left, and when you need to reload the phone. The one big drawback is that if you go past the deadline without reloading, the phone will stop all service and cannot be put in service again. But I've found that there's plenty of time to add the needed units, and I've never used them up because I don't make alot of calls. I like it because I'm always aware of how long I'm talking, and there's less temptation to blabber on about nothing when you know it isn't worth the cost or time. It's great for most daily uses.

Geez, Seeker, what company are you with? For $50 a month I get 650 minutes and no roaming charges. I  have  never used up all my minutes.

In man's analysis and understanding of himself, it is as well to know from whence he came as whither he is going.   Edgar Cayce

Beliefs are tools for social conditioning, rather than expressions of inner realization or inner truth.   unknown
Ad Verecundiam

Sedna-- That sounds like it might be good for me. I'll look into it, thanks.

treehugger-- You may have misunderstood. I only make 4 or 5 phone calls a month, totalling maybe 20 minutes. So it's crazy to spend $50 when I'm only going to be using the phone that much.

At this point though I'm stuck for another year in a contract with Cingular. At least that gives me some time to find the right phone cards.

Oh, yeah, I see your point.

In man's analysis and understanding of himself, it is as well to know from whence he came as whither he is going.   Edgar Cayce

Beliefs are tools for social conditioning, rather than expressions of inner realization or inner truth.   unknown
Ad Verecundiam