Topic: Disciplines of Walking the Walk

Over at the Ran Prieur website I came across a quote (paraphrased): you extricate yourself from the system with your passion, but with patience and discipline. 

Number one, it caused me to consciously think about the fact that I've always seen myself "freeing myself" by acts of passion.  Over the years I've had many, many passionate fantasies.  Even at nine or ten years old I fantasized about running away from my family and living in a pup tent in the mountains.  The latest fantasies are closer akin to becoming independently wealthy by becoming a successful writer and buying land with an adobe brick house, a windmill and a well. 

I'm definitely committed, and my passions are not transient, but I see the last stages of it happening through passion.  And I believe in that future, but still, I've never gotten down and dirty serious about disciplines for walking the walk...

What are they do you think? 

The first that occurs to me is:

(1) Upholding a principle of fair-and-equal exchange, and never taking something you can't really pay for in present time.  (I suppose that could include, too, not paying too much for something you only value very little...Like paying fifty dollars for a restaurant meal you could've prepared yourself, maybe.  If you're paying for "an experience," or "a moment," fine; or to be good to yourself, fine; if you have deep pockets, fine.  But why waste resources otherwise?). 

(2) Only giving support to those you believe are ethical and moral--which in this day and age could mean...Freeganism. 

...?

You can't change a tiger's stripes,
but you can avoid its teeth.

Re: Disciplines of Walking the Walk

First of all I like your signiture.

Second to me being independant consists of freedom of thought. The ego if you're going to want live off the grid will pull you back and trick you.
To be free is to face reality, and being reality will give libiration. What I am saying is keep your mind healthy, as you would say keep fit and sporty.

You have to become self-aware ( which I think is STS) and then fully aware (STO). 

A little metaphor. You have a "good" leg, one that can kick and control, and a "bad" one lazy not as controlable.
No matter how good the good leg is you wont be able to ride a bike or walk as far. You have to keep both there.
And from their you free yourself of duality.

If the human mind was simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple to understand it.
Emerson Pugh

Postitivone wrote:

The ego if you're going to want live off the grid will pull you back and trick you.

Wow.  Yeah, that's probably the most important and most intangible step in walking the walk: balancing your ego and spirit.

The control systems are based upon ego.  With ego still dominant, any step away from the control system will probably result in a looping right back into another system of control. 

So, a baby step in walking the walk is seeing ego where it lives, to what degree, and how to flow with it or around it.

You can't change a tiger's stripes,
but you can avoid its teeth.

Great ideas and thoughts.

I think the answer is contained in the title "Walking the Walk"

Everything that we've "learnt" aka "walk" we must "apply" it aka "walking".

Its just becoming more lucid in everyday activities (becoming more conscious)

For example, whenever you feel like making a choice, think about whether it serves yourself as a spiritual being, make that choice the best choice you can make, just like you said dreamosis in your restaurant analogy. 

If we can become conscious all of the time, then...? (open to your imagination)

"Beyond the stars a new world awaits me now" - Wintersun