1 (edited by whywhywhy 2005-12-09 07:54:17)

Topic: Little Things that Make a Difference

Little things can make a big difference when grouped together.

    Start using coupons posted on Sunday’s paper
    When needed purchase items that have some sort of rebate
    Buy two for the price of one and freeze half of it
    Stop using credit cards immediately (this one is a killer)
    Grow spices in your yard.  It does not take much space to grow oregano, cilantro, sage, garlic and
       others.  Some of them can be easily grown in a pot inside the house. 
    Resist the temptation of buying something you don’t need.  Don’t give up to cravings.
    Reduce the number of trips to the supermarket.  Plan ahead, make a list.
    If you buy several books a year buy a discount card or buy used books in the internet or get an
       electronic file if a free download is available.
    Use both sides of the printer paper.  Many times we print to proof read.  If this is the case then
       save the paper for the next session.
    Turn off the lights when illumination is not a must
    Buy 87 octane gas as long as your engine does not knock.  I worked in the Oil Refining business for
       years and believe me, that is the only difference between 87 and 93 octane.  So, if the engine does not
       knock save a few pennies a gallon and use 87.
    Car pool if possible
    After diner if there are leftovers pack them and eat them for lunch the next day.  Don’t waste
       anything.
    Quit smoking (this one will drain your pocket as well as it kills you)
    Quit alcohol consumption
    Quit drinking sodas and switch to more water and maybe some juices
    Use toilet paper made out of recycled paper
    Use paper towels made out of recycled paper
    Stop watching TV every night
    If you have a cell phone then cancel your home phone service
    Don’t buy a new car……Period.
    Use the local ads paper when planning to buy something.  You will always find a great deal
    Consider going to flea markets.  Buy only what you set forth to buy.
    Quit buying name brands.  Many generic items are just as good

There are hundreds of other items that can be added to this list.  Please feel free to do so.  It is hard to quantify the savings when these suggestions are used but they are quite tangible.

Regards

Re: Little Things that Make a Difference

Very nice, whywhywhy.  Also, there are lots of common items around the house that can take the place of specific items you might go out and guy.  Like using baking soda in lieu of toothpaste.  I'll have to look for a list of these.

3 (edited by lyra 2005-12-09 08:36:48)

Re: Little Things that Make a Difference

The list is geared towards ways to save money I take it.   Along a related line are the following suggestions, which are aimed at making dent / difference, to chip away at problematic modern day behaviors.  This ties into the idea of sustainability that Neomatrix brought up briefly in today's post over on the David Icke thread.    Our way of life not only drains our money, but it's just not sustainable, period.   So with that in mind:



- Recycle.   In Charlottesville, you're allowed one trash can per week of trash.  You get a trash decal so they can verify who's trash is who's, which means they basically force you to find a way to recycle as much of your trash as you can, because they won't pick it up if it exceeds more than your allocated 1 trash can.   Newspapers, brown bags, plastic bags, cardboard, glass, plastic containers, aluminum, all of it gets recycled here.  You can either put it in your recycling bin or bring it in your car to the one of several community recycling centers around town.  We do both.  The first time we took a trip to the recycling center I was amazed at all the huge bin dumpsters lined up in a row to take pretty much everything except for organic/food trash.  I had no idea that you could recycle plastic like that.   They even have a place to take your old phone books, junk mail / envelopes / fliers, and used printer paper!!!!!!!!   They do everything here, I love it.   Additionally, our community recycling center has a walk in area for free books.  If you have books you want to get rid of, then people sometimes bring them there.  They're lined up on shelves, and you just take whatever you want for free if you see something you like.

So yes, definitely recycle.  If your community doesn't do curbside recycling bins, then see if you have a community recycling center.


- Stop being a consumer.   This can't be emphasized enough.  We're all guilty of it, myself included, so here's a kick ass link that was once passed along by former NR poster Alushe, which I'll highlight again here since it's relevant: 

http://www.verdant.net
Their overcoming consumerism section:  http://www.verdant.net/index.html
Their article on an alternate economy:    http://www.verdant.net/alternate_economy.htm

There's a plethora of information to be found at this site.  Take what works for you, based on what you'd like to achieve, and toss the rest if it's not applicable or if you don't agree.


Stop supporting the big name corporations.  Shop Mom n Pop.  Again, we're all guilty of this, myself included.  But we can all at least try to make an effort to cut back on shopping at big name corporation chains and instead, seek out independently owned, local Mom n Pop businesses.  Encourage small businesses, don't give your money to the corporations.

Start paying attention when you're driving around town to the Mom n Pop small business alternatives.  When you're tempted to run off to Wal Mart for something, take the extra 5 minutes to pull out your phone book and see if you can find the Mom n Pop alternative.   


And regarding this:

If you have a cell phone then cancel your home phone service

I actually think it should be the opposite.

Cancel your cell phone and stick with your land line.

We all got along just fine before cell phones were commonplace.   I personally detest cell phones.  People walking around talking into their cell phone or ear pieces out in public being obnoxious and rude, talking into their phones while being rung up by a cashier, driving with a phone stuck to their ear causing accidents.   Etc.   Etc.

Just say no to cell phones, they suck.   Don't be a part of the cell phone problem.   They're bad for your health and contribute to people walking around in life oblivious to their surroundings because they're absorbed in some silly superficial conversation that could have waited 10 minutes until the person got home.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride!"  - Anonymous
-----
"I get by with a little help from my (higher density) friends."
-----

Re: Little Things that Make a Difference

Great post, lyra, thanks. And I'm in complete agreement regarding the whole cell phone thing. !!!

Here in North Carolina we have lots of recycling centers and its encouraged everywhere, which I also really like. We have curbside pick up for almost everything the centers recycle, which is really convenient since we live sort of off the beaten track. But we also have a recycling center about 3 miles away, and it seems everywhere I've lived in this state, there's a center within 10 miles or less. Very cool.

"The most important decision you have to make is whether you live in a hostile or friendly universe."
~ Albert Einstein

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. ~Marcel Proust

The evolution of humanity is an evolution of the heart. The path is through the heart.

Re: Little Things that Make a Difference

lyra wrote:

The list is geared towards ways to save money I take it.

Yes.  But I was thinking more in terms of the more you save the less you have to work.  More time for yourself.

lyra wrote:

So yes, definitely recycle.  If your community doesn't do curbside recycling bins, then see if you have a community recycling center.

Absolutely!


lyra wrote:

- Stop being a consumer.   This can't be emphasized enough.  We're all guilty of it, myself included, so here's a kick ass link that was once passed along by former NR poster Alushe, which I'll highlight again here since it's relevant: 

http://www.verdant.net
Their overcoming consumerism section:  http://www.verdant.net/index.html
Their article on an alternate economy:    http://www.verdant.net/alternate_economy.htm

I briefly visited this sites and they have some good ideas.  Although some of the ideas I'll have to quit my job to be able to implement them. 

lyra wrote:

Stop supporting the big name corporations.  Shop Mom n Pop.  Again, we're all guilty of this, myself included.  But we can all at least try to make an effort to cut back on shopping at big name corporation chains and instead, seek out independently owned, local Mom n Pop businesses.  Encourage small businesses, don't give your money to the corporations.

Start paying attention when you're driving around town to the Mom n Pop small business alternatives.  When you're tempted to run off to Wal Mart for something, take the extra 5 minutes to pull out your phone book and see if you can find the Mom n Pop alternative.

Yes.  Big name corporations are slowly but surely destroying small business accross the planet not just the USA.

lyra wrote:

And regarding this:

If you have a cell phone then cancel your home phone service

I actually think it should be the opposite.

Cancel your cell phone and stick with your land line.

We all got along just fine before cell phones were commonplace.   I personally detest cell phones.  People walking around talking into their cell phone or ear pieces out in public being obnoxious and rude, talking into their phones while being rung up by a cashier, driving with a phone stuck to their ear causing accidents.   Etc.   Etc.

Just say no to cell phones, they suck.   Don't be a part of the cell phone problem.   They're bad for your health and contribute to people walking around in life oblivious to their surroundings because they're absorbed in some silly superficial conversation that could have waited 10 minutes until the person got home.

Either way works for me as long as you keep one of the two services.  I personally will have to choose the cell phone.  Maybe when I quit my business and can get rid of it.

6 (edited by lyra 2005-12-09 10:08:13)

Re: Little Things that Make a Difference

A couple of more:

- Instead of cranking up the heat in the winter, put on a sweater!  big_smile   It's true though.   I find myself roaming over to the thermostat and wanting to up it higher, but then I'm like, Hey, come on, I have a sweater, it's not THAT bad! 

- 87 octane gas and carpooling are always good as mentioned in the list, but even better.....what about taking the bus, walking, or riding your bike?   Eliminate car usage if you can hoof it or ride public transportation that's headed to the same place.   In Portland Oregon they've got downtown set up in such a way that there's pretty much no place to park other than meters or parking garages.  But their public transportation system is excellent.  Busses crisscross all over.   For the 4 months I was there I rode a bus to and from work every day downtown, and left my car at home.  Hardly drove my car at all the entire time I was there.


Edit:  And another....and I know some people are going to go "huh??" when I say this, but.....

Eat less.

Yes, you read that one right.   Eat less.

Pardon my french, and sorry to offend anybody, but Americans are fricking FAT.  I can't get over how many fat people there are out there, equally as round as they are tall.   "Metabolism problems" and "big bones" aside, too many people are eating too much food, is what it boils down to.    They don't need the amount of food they're consuming.   They stuff themselves full of empty calories, turning to food to alleviate emotional issues and trauma, passing their time with food instead of doing something useful, etc. and so on.   So many people nowadays have the "bulging colon" syndrome too.  They think they have belly fat, but the problem is a colon stuffed full of, well, you know....that has yet to be eliminated, because of their colon being so out of whack due to eating so much garbage in such excess.  I worked with a girl once who wasn't a fat girl, but she had a fat lower stomach that she was always lamenting about.   I looked her over, and in analyzing the rest of her body in proportion to her belly, I assessed, um, nope, that ain't fat, chickie. That's your backed up colon.  Come to find out later on that I was most likely right, but won't get into the details of our conversation that proved this.   

Eating three times more food than what one actually needs is gluttony, and another form of rampant consumerism.   

In a nutshell, we should be looking at the example set by those cultures on Earth who only take what they need, and nothing more, and try to leave more than what they came with.  I know it's all been said before, but I figured ain't NOBODY gonna get on here and flat out say, "HEY FATTIE!  PUT DOWN THAT SUPER SIZED BIGGIE MEAL!!!  BACK AWAY FROM THE 50 POUNDS OF FOOD ON YOUR PLATE THAT YOU PLAN TO HAVE A GORGE FEST WITH!!!!!"   wink

Eating less will save you money, make you healthier, eliminates gluttony and eating in greedy gorging excess.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride!"  - Anonymous
-----
"I get by with a little help from my (higher density) friends."
-----

7 (edited by CortexVortex 2005-12-09 09:22:24)

Re: Little Things that Make a Difference

I wholeheartedly agree with lyra concerning cell phones.
Much like smoking, why PAY outrageous amounts to give yourself a tumor?

Another big one would be car/ home repair, if you normally pay someone to be handyman, teach yourself- this can save THOUSANDS.......

All the info is right here on the net- for free.

"I hate dreaming. because when you want to sleep, you want to sleep. Dreaming is work. Next thing you know I have to build a go-kart with my ex landlord"
-The late Mitch Hedberg

Re: Little Things that Make a Difference

lyra wrote:

A couple of more:

- Instead of cranking up the heat in the winter, put on a sweater!  big_smile   It's true though.   I find myself roaming over to the thermostat and wanting to up it higher, but then I'm like, Hey, come on, I have a sweater, it's not THAT bad!

Lyra,

I do the same but in the summer time.  Next summer I will raise the temperature 2-3 degrees.  I know I can live with that change. 

Most of the suggestions we have provided will help in decreasing dependancy on the Matrix but they don't completely unplug us from it.   Maybe one way to determine what it takes to detach ourselves from it is to make a list of what we like (I mean really like) and ask the following question---------Can I live without it?  Items such as:

1. Money
2. Wining & Dining (eating out)
3. Technology conforts
4. Watching a good movie
5. others

I placed Money at the top since I think it is what drives most of our daily transactions.  But, to completely unplug means (my interpretation) to let it all go.  A very diffucult task indeed (I am speaking for myself).  Perhaps the immediate goal should be to find those things we can readily let go and find more time for spiritual matters.  As we gradually advance we let more things go.   This seems more sensible than quiting "cold turkey" but some people are able to pull it off.  We must decide which one is us.

Regards

9 (edited by lyra 2005-12-09 10:04:57)

Re: Little Things that Make a Difference

whywhywhy wrote:

Maybe one way to determine what it takes to detach ourselves from it is to make a list of what we like (I mean really like) and ask the following question---------Can I live without it?  Items such as:

1. Money
2. Wining & Dining (eating out)
3. Technology conforts
4. Watching a good movie
5. others

I placed Money at the top since I think it is what drives most of our daily transactions.  But, to completely unplug means (my interpretation) to let it all go.  A very diffucult task indeed (I am speaking for myself).  Perhaps the immediate goal should be to find those things we can readily let go and find more time for spiritual matters.  As we gradually advance we let more things go.   This seems more sensible than quiting "cold turkey" but some people are able to pull it off.  We must decide which one is us.

Regards

Very true!   I've just had to do this myself over the past week actually, the EXACT same thing.  I was going to write out the list but in the end went through it in my mind instead.   

Basically, I'm at a temp job right now that I loathe, and I mean, loathe.  But I have no choice but to stay, because I'm in the financial hole right now.   No money, basically!

But it's all my own doing!!!!  I've been eating out more than making my own food.   Spending money here, spending money there....and it's all because of having that little plastic ATM debit card that I can use whereever I go to pay for anything from gas to food to household items to books, to anything, you name it.

Convenience leads to overindulgence.   And I knew this YEARS ago which is why I avoided bank accounts for years!!   Plastic cards mean trouble, period, whether it's credit or debit.  It becomes SO easy to spend when you have a card.

So, over the past two days I've had to make a decision.

STOP EATING OUT.   STICK TO MAKING MY OWN FOOD.

Stop buying trivial little things.

And leave the debit card at home.

Yes, leave it at home.  If I'm out and about I won't be able to spend money if I have none with me to spend.

Then I will get myself out of this financial hole.  It won't take long, maybe but a month to get caught up again, but in the meantime I will have to suffer at this job I hate, just suck it up and collect the paychecks until I'm back on two feet.   

But yes, you're so right.....everybody, make that list.  See what you can cut back on, or what can be completely eliminated!

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride!"  - Anonymous
-----
"I get by with a little help from my (higher density) friends."
-----

10 (edited by whywhywhy 2005-12-09 10:35:32)

Re: Little Things that Make a Difference

lyra wrote:

But it's all my own doing!!!!  I've been eating out more than making my own food.   Spending money here, spending money there....and it's all because of having that little plastic ATM debit card that I can use whereever I go to pay for anything from gas to food to household items to books, to anything, you name it.

Convenience leads to overindulgence.   And I knew this YEARS ago which is why I avoided bank accounts for years!!   Plastic cards mean trouble, period, whether it's credit or debit.  It becomes SO easy to spend when you have a card.

So, over the past two days I've had to make a decision.

STOP EATING OUT.   STICK TO MAKING MY OWN FOOD.

Stop buying trivial little things.

And leave the debit card at home.

Yes, leave it at home.  If I'm out and about I won't be able to spend money if I have none with me to spend.

Then I will get myself out of this financial hole.  It won't take long, maybe but a month to get caught up again, but in the meantime I will have to suffer at this job I hate, just suck it up and collect the paychecks until I'm back on two feet.   

But yes, you're so right.....everybody, make that list.  See what you can cut back on, or what can be completely eliminated!

Lyra,

Some of the things you said above almost described me.  I cannot save a penny even if my life depends on it.  As a matter of fact I posted the following statement in the operetoo thread:

Nowadays, I have time to research some of my ideas, meditate at work, post in Noble Realms, etc...  Sporadically, I have to commit 100% of my time to a specific project but it is all worth it.  I also learned that money means nothing to me but a tool to obtain the goods my family needs to make it here on Earth.  Furthermore, I don't save much money for I spend it as it comes………….As if it was the last day of my life.  Kind of reminds me of one of Lyra’s quotes:

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... "Holy s*** ... what a ride!"  - Anonymous

Sometimes I get in some jams too but what the heck I had a great a time getting there.  Warning: This is not an advice.  It is almost a self destructive behaviour if one is not careful.  I had to say that................Like your quote------------------"Holy Shit......What a ride!"

Regards

Re: Little Things that Make a Difference

Just my personal observation for my situation, which may not necessarily be true for yours: I found the C's advice to be consistently applicable, that "when you spend to progress, you prosper."

When I have overspent on things that were detrimental to my progress, that has always put me into a tight bind. But when I would seemingly overspend on things that I know are beneficial to progress, things would work out in synchronistic ways. By detrimental I mean that which destroys health, takes away productivity, overfeeds the baser impulses, is a result of self-destructive or distractice programming commands, etc...  By beneficial I mean things that either directly or indirectly support your physical, intellectual, and spiritual well-being, things that you know and feel are good and necessary.

So my point is, I found that things went better when I rearranged rather than reduced my spending, shifting it from a mostly destructive to mostly beneficial. I don't believe it has to be completely one way or the other, because some things are only destructive if carried on for too much too long, so in moderation they are neutral and okay.

Because having more money is not only about plugging the leaks, but also opening the flow from the tap, I guess the trick might be in cutting back on things you need to cut back anyway, and continue spending on things you and your loved ones need to spend on. That way you become a more focused, disciplined, and healthy force in this world, rather than a miserable miser.

Acquiring fringe knowledge is like digging for diamonds in a mine field.

Re: Little Things that Make a Difference

Hi all there are some great suggestions and ideals to implement in this thread. here is a few more, get a dehydrator
to save left over food you can also build one out of glass and wood frame.You can do frute,vegges, meat. If you can get the Foxfire books they have all the old ways of doing things.

Be the Wave

13 (edited by whywhywhy 2005-12-09 11:47:43)

Re: Little Things that Make a Difference

Montalk,


What you just described completely fits what I have experienced.  In the past, the more money I got the more I wanted and the more I spent on trivial things.  It was a vicious circle that made me think I never had enough.  Nowadays, I try to keep my mind free of worries, I am more connected (spiritually), serene and honestly at peace with who I am.  In absolute terms I make less money but I have more than I ever had if that makes any sense.  I still spend most of it doing the things I enjoy such as eating, books, stuff for my experiments and others.   But that's ok, when I die I cannot take it with me.  Thanks for your comments.

Regards

Re: Little Things that Make a Difference

Saving money is a great thing, but know that there is a natural ebb and flow to money just like everything else.

I have been paying very close attention to the flow of money through me, but to do that you need to have flow.

If you are standing in line at the grocery store agonizing about buying the 89 cent can of green beans, you are removing yourself from the flow and it is very difficult to understand prosperity.

I've found that there are natural cycles to the inflow and outflow of money, and if I try to interfere with that I get myself in trouble. 

Be watchful, but don't be in self-denial.  Sometimes it's good to spend your money on something 'frivolous' just for the experience of it.  If you hold back and hold back and hold back, eventually there will be a compensatory release, and you probably will end up spending more than you would have in the first place.

Here is a wonderful exercise.  Walk into a store like Target and grab a cart.  Wander around and fill it up with everything you want, or that looks attractive to you. 

Then when your cart is full, go through each item one by one and ask yourself "Do I really need this to be happy?"  If so, keep it, if not, put it back.  You may already know intellectually that you don't need something, but it is a completely different experience when it is sitting in your hand and you put it back on the shelf. .

It is not for us to understand love, but simply to make space for it.

15

Re: Little Things that Make a Difference

whywhywhy wrote:

    Start using coupons posted on Sunday’s paper
    Buy two for the price of one and freeze half of it

These two are tricky. There is an online book called "Poker Without Cards" written by an ex-marketing guru who talks about coupons and two for the price of one as merely marketing ploys to get the consumer to buy more than they would normally. In fact many people end up spending more money and buying things they didn't really need. It's like these club member cards all these supermarkets offer. It's a ploy. If you play it right, it works, but watch for all their 2 for 1, 3 for 1, etc. deals.

There is a book from Loompanics I've been meaning to look at. It's called something like the 99 cents a meal cookbook or something to that effect. A lot of survivalists seem to swear by it. I rather admire Ran Prieur for living on less than $200 a month. I'm playing with the idea lately of selling all my electronic gadgets, computers, books, etc. and having only a few possessions that might fit into a large mountaineering backpack. It certainly wouldn't be easy. I'm a network engineer with techno-crap coming out of the walls, but it's suffocating. I don't need any of these things.

Even the Internet. It's a good tool, but it might to more harm than good.