1 (edited by Xenopope 2005-10-12 14:29:58)

Topic: The Music Thread

Okay. Wanted to do this for a while now so this is for anyone to share the music they like! Just anything that GRABS you . . . and such. Provide linky if possible.

This one has been with me for two weeks now - One Side Zero off of Is This Room Getting Smaller - Track 10. - Eight. linky

The lyrics are here -

secrets out unfold, whisper words be warned
falling into one, its you i still believe

chorus:
felt so alive, wish I could hold, its already full
so phase me out of your life
it's all, it's all, it's already full

treat the son our own
haven't seen him grow
held the hand we lost
its you I can't recall

(chorus)

secrets out unfold, whisper words be warned
falling into one, it's you i still believe
you still believe, all that we couldnt see
and it seemed so wrong
but I wish I could, never will

It's already full

I am as is Void.

2 (edited by montalk 2005-10-12 15:53:53)

Re: The Music Thread

Great idea for a thread, especially with links to songs. That was a good one by OneSideZero...reminds me of Tool in many ways, thanks for linking it.

Here's one I really like: The Drowning Years by While Heaven Wept. It is an epic doom metal song that sounds like a darker version of Styx. Don't care much for the lyrics, but the melody incorporates counterpoint technique normally found only in classical music.

Another nice song is Silent Tomorrow by Novembers Doom. Most of it is spoken word on top of clean guitars that builds up into heavy but slow metal. From a concept album about a guy who wakes up one day with complete prescience and suffers the burden of knowing the future. At that same link is one called "Swallowed by the Moon" - an intense song in every way, if you don't mind growling vocals.

What grabs me about all these songs is how emotionally saturated they are.

Acquiring fringe knowledge is like digging for diamonds in a mine field.

3 (edited by morningsun76 2005-10-12 21:12:00)

I'm generally into classic rock mainly, especially Rush, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Mark Knopfler and the like.   Instead of those though I'll share a couple of more obscure artists that I really like from the New Age / Native American genres because most people never get to hear these artists anywhere.

First, Anugama (website).  I like to sleep to Anugama's music.  He has done a lot of excellent work; here's one track called New Moon Rising

Here is the title track from an abum by the Native American band Brule called Lakota Forever.  The whole album is very good and worth checking out as well.

4 (edited by Jack Strat 2005-10-12 21:37:31)

I've provided a link to some Mountain Goats shows on another thread (namely "The Mountain Goats"), but here's one at amazon for Palmcorder Yajna:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de … 0?v=glance

I can't emphasize enough how important I think John Darnielle is. The best thing about certainty is not caring what anyone thinks about. Time (if there is enough left) will absolutely honor the Mountain Goats.

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine."
     Che Guevara

5 (edited by oceanchild 2005-10-13 13:17:45)

http://www.k-osmusic.com/

i really love all the music K-OS has put out so far ... everything about his music appeals to me a lot.

from the link, if you click on the eyes at the top of the page, or the soldier holding the gun, or the jets, you can check some of his videos and songs ... i think you can listen to everything from his second album, Joyful Rebellion ... his first album, EXIT i also thought was amazing ...

... checking out the mirror of relationship ...

Been reading the thread here.. http://forum.noblerealms.org/viewtopic. … 847#p24847 re the machine elves, and would like to share this... A new way to say hooray... ^__^

Everything in what we call creation is energy resonating at different frequencies.
The universe is a song...

montalk wrote:

Great idea for a thread, especially with links to songs. That was a good one by OneSideZero...reminds me of Tool in many ways, thanks for linking it.

Yea, I love music SO much . . it's insane. Thought this would be a good way to exchange songs we like. OSZ was sorta obscure to me - I just happened apon them once and liked it, just like I did with so many others. They have a song called New World Order on that same album. Ironic that it's the only song on there I don't like. Comparing them with Tool reminded me that I have Lateralus uploaded.

montalk wrote:

Here's one I really like: The Drowning Years by While Heaven Wept. It is an epic doom metal song that sounds like a darker version of Styx. Don't care much for the lyrics, but the melody incorporates counterpoint technique normally found only in classical music.

Okay, . . wow. That was certainly something! LOL! I was actually laughing at this one about 3/4 through the song! It was good! . . I kept thinking it would end but it didn't . .  First, how did you get into classic doom so much?? I was gonna say, "dude!! there's life after doom!!!" big_smile

montalk wrote:

Another nice song is Silent Tomorrow by Novembers Doom. Most of it is spoken word on top of clean guitars that builds up into heavy but slow metal. From a concept album about a guy who wakes up one day with complete prescience and suffers the burden of knowing the future.

This one didn't make me laugh. I liked this one a lot.

I am as is Void.

Two greats songs from the deftones  i recommend are Passenger (ft maynard of Tool) and My own summer

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/a … -2,00.html

Here's the one's I wanted to share now. Diagram of Suburban Chaos would be ambient electronic drum & bass or experimental electronic. Their album is called Status Negatives - here is turnback-construct and algernon-docedit. I really liked this album when I downloaded it in 2001 from their website. It was like nothing I had ever heard.

I am as is Void.

10 (edited by Xenopope 2005-10-14 16:32:35)

Piece_ofnothing wrote:

Two greats songs from the deftones  i recommend are Passenger (ft maynard of Tool) and My own summer

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/a … -2,00.html

I like Deftones - listened to Around the Fur a lot, didn't care much for White Poney, except for Passenger, of course. Maynard can make any song great. Do you have the My own summer remix ? Wonder who it is remixed by . . .

You posting those two songs made me realize that the lyrics to Passenger could be interpreted as man driving himself further away from the source of himself . . . and My own summer could also be construed as regressive type behavior - asking for clouds to come and obscure the sun and then there's the part about a god moving his TONGUE. Hmmmm . . .

I am as is Void.

if the pole shifts or the asteroid hits, this is some gorgeous folk music i'll be lost in:
http://www.lesshelleys.com/

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine."
     Che Guevara

I remember seeing Neil Young twice in concert, in Ottawa, when he was much younger.

Other than the lighted matches at the end of each, calling for encores, and having a great time, each time, I don't remember a damn thing wink

Bob, as in Marley, always soothes my soul...........

i bet no one here cares much for country music, even the alternative or roots rock variety. i wouldn't be doing my job as "under assistant west coast promotion man" if i didn't recommend Lonesome Bob. Bob is just about my favorite singer-songwriter. he gets the 'underdog' vote, because even though he is one of the most talented artists on the scene, he's too busy paying the bills with his customer service rep gig at a real estate title company to make the scene. "Heather's All Bummed Out" is the most unlikely song i've ever loved. a live version is here:
http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/groups/i … ps=6720174

Che Guevara

Hey Jack, country gets a bad rap because of the highly commercialized bland stuff, but any style of music has its diamonds in the rough. I'm not familiar with the country/folk underground, but I think the classics like Hank Williams Sr, Johnny Cash, and Garth Brooks have some good songs. Will check out Lonesome Bob. I liked the Les Shelleys song available at the site, very mood-setting.

Acquiring fringe knowledge is like digging for diamonds in a mine field.

15 (edited by Jack Strat 2005-10-15 00:31:53)

happy you liked les Shelleys, montalk. there are actually 4 or 5 songs on the little player at their site. wait for the next one to load (several seconds).
Lonesome Bob is one of a number of folks trying to put the " 'O' back in country".  if you like charged emotional performances, i can't think of anything more affecting than Bob's "Where Are You Tonight", a song for his son who died between his first and second albums.
Robbie Fulks has a blistering account of his time in nashville, "F**k This Town".
Otis Lee Crenshaw (comedian Rich Hall's alter ego) is responsible for getting me to listen to country again. Otis is the funniest thing i've ever seen or heard. Catch his appearance on comedy central presents when it's rerun. the dvd available is region 2/pal, but well worth arranging to see.
here's a link for a free trial at emusic.com. sign up and get 50 free mp3s. make sure to cancel before the trial period is over.
http://www.emusic.com/promo.html?fref=1 … src=google

nearly forgot to ask: anyone here into the White Stripes? forget the hype, listen to the band. i think they're really on to something.

Che Guevara